The lineage of the name Bestwik begins with the Anglo-Saxon
tribes in Britain. It is a result of when they lived in one of two places named Beswick. One is located in the township of Berwick, in the parish of Kilnwick, in the East Riding of Yorkshire
while the other is in Lancashire
, where Berwick was a local
Early Origins of the Bestwik family
The surname Bestwik was first found in Yorkshire
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, long before the Norman Conquest
in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Bestwik family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Bestwik research.Another 113 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Bestwik History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Bestwik Spelling Variations
Only recently has spelling become standardized in the English language. As the English language evolved in the Middle Ages, the spelling of names changed also. The name Bestwik has undergone many spelling variations
, including Beswick, Beswicke, Beswickt, Bestwick, Beeswick, Beswyck and many more.
Early Notables of the Bestwik family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Bestwik Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Bestwik family to the New World and Oceana
To escape the unstable social climate in England
of this time, many families boarded ships for the New World with the hope of finding land, opportunity, and greater religious and political freedom. Although the voyages were expensive, crowded, and difficult, those families that arrived often found greater opportunities and freedoms than they could have experienced at home. Many of those families went on to make significant contributions to the rapidly developing colonies in which they settled. Early North American records indicate many people bearing the name Bestwik were among those contributors: Matthew Bestwick who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1834; James Beswick who settled in Philadelphia in 1856.