The origins of the Belestede name lie with England's ancient Anglo-Saxon
culture. It comes from when the family lived in or around the parish of Belstead, which was located in the diocese of Norwich and county Suffolk.
Early Origins of the Belestede family
The surname Belestede was first found in Suffolk
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Belestede family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Belestede research.Another 479 words (34 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1273 and 1500 are included under the topic Early Belestede History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Belestede Spelling Variations
Before the last few hundred
years, the English language had no fast system of spelling rules. For that reason, spelling variations
are commonly found in early Anglo-Saxon
surnames. Over the years, many variations of the name Belestede were recorded, including Belstead, Bellstead, Bestede, Belsted, Bellsted, Bellestede and many more.
Early Notables of the Belestede family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Belestede Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Belestede family to the New World and Oceana
To escape oppression and starvation at that time, many English families left for the "open frontiers" of the New World with all its perceived opportunities. In droves people migrated to the many British colonies, those in North America in particular, paying high rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Although many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, those who did see the shores of North America perceived great opportunities before them. Many of the families that came from England
went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Research into various historical records revealed some of first members of the Belestede family emigrate to North America: W. Belstead, who arrived in San Francisco in 1852.