Behring History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Behring family
The surname Behring was first found in Lower Saxony, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The name derives itself from the German word for bear ("der Baer").
Early History of the Behring family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Behring research. Another 123 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1703, 1792, 1798, 1872, and 1876 are included under the topic Early Behring History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Behring Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Behr, Bahr (northern Germany), Barr, Bar, Barre, Baer and many more.
Early Notables of the Behring family (pre 1700)
Another 44 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Behring Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Behring migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Behring Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johannes Behring, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1753 
Behring Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Behring, who arrived in America in 1872 
Contemporary Notables of the name Behring (post 1700) +
- Kenneth Eugene Behring (1928-2019), American real estate developer, former owner of the National Football League's Seattle Seahawks
- Vitus Behring (1680-1741), Danish navigator
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)