The ancestors of the Balghan family were part of an ancient Scottish tribe called the Picts
. They lived in the old lands of Balmanno in Kincardine. The name is a topographic
surname, which was given to a family who held a barony or lands, had houses, manors or estates in the area.
Early Origins of the Balghan family
The surname Balghan was first found in Kincardine, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Balghan family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Balghan research.Another 161 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1447 and 1582 are included under the topic Early Balghan History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Balghan Spelling Variations
In medieval Scotland
, names were more often spelled according to sound than any regular set of rules. An enormous number of spelling variations
were the result. Over the years, the name Balghan has been spelled Balmano, Belmano, Belmanno, Bolmano, Ballmanno and many more.
Early Notables of the Balghan family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Balghan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Balghan family to the New World and Oceana
In such difficult times, Ireland
, and North America looked like better homes for many Scots. The trips were expensive and grueling, but also rewarding, as the colonies were havens for those unwelcome in the old country. That legacy did not die easily, though, and many were forced to fight for their freedom in the American War of Independence
. The Scottish legacy has resurface in more recent times, though, through Clan
societies, highland games, and other organizations. Immigration and passenger lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the old Scottish name of Balghan: Bamon Balmon who settled in Philadelphia, Pa. in 1868. William Belmano arrived in Philadelphia in 1856.