on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, French
Where did the English Asselin family come from? When did the Asselin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Asselin family history?Asselin is one of the many new names that came to England following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Asselin family lived in Huntingdon. The name is also derived from the ancient baptismal name Ansell. That name is derived from the Germanic elements ans, meaning god, and helm, meaning protection or helmet. It derived some popularity from the fact that it was borne by a number of famous medieval churchmen. Notably, St. Anselm (c.1033-1109), the Benedictine monk was known as "the father of Scholasticism."
Anglo-Norman names are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. When the Normans became the ruling people of England in the 11th century, they introduced a new language into a society where the main languages of Old and later Middle English had no definite spelling rules. These languages were more often spoken than written, so they blended freely with one another. Contributing to this mixing of tongues was the fact that medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, ensuring that a person's name would appear differently in nearly every document in which it was recorded. The name has been spelled Aslin, Aslen, Aslan, Asslin, Aslein, Ascelin, Asselin, Asselyn, Astlen, Aslyn, Asling and many more.
First found in Nottinghamshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Asselin research. Another 301 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1066, 1086, 1273, 1399, 1551, 1557, 1725, 1782 and 1390 are included under the topic Early Asselin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Asselin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that plagued their homeland made the frontiers of the New World an attractive prospect. Thousands migrated, aboard cramped disease-ridden ships. They arrived sick, poor, and hungry, but were welcomed in many cases with far greater opportunity than at home in England. Many of these hardy settlers went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Among early immigrants bearing the name Asselin or a variant listed above were:
Asselin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Louis Asselin, aged 35, who emigrated to the United States from Bordeaux, France, in 1920
- Louise Asselin, aged 42, who settled in America from Rennes, France, in 1921
Asselin Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Louise Asselin, who arrived in Canada in 1650
- Pierre Asselin, son of David and Catherine Baudart, married Louise Bosche, daughter of Guillaume and Marie Paradis at Sainte-Famille, Québec, in 1679
- Jacques Asselin, son of Jacques and Louise Roussin, married Marie Moricet, daughter of Jean and Jeanne Choret, at Sainte-Famille, Québec in 1687
Asselin Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Olivier-François Asselin, son of André and Marie-Louise Drouin, married Josephte Alaire, daughter of Etienne and Marie-Josée, at Saint-Jean, Québec in 1794
Asselin Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Amelia Asselin, aged 60, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1912
- Jean Asselin, aged 11, who settled in Montreal, Canada, in 1916
- Leb Asselin, aged 36, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1916
- Oliver Asselin, aged 41, who settled in Montreal, Canada, in 1916
- Paul Asselin, aged 10, who emigrated to Montreal, Canada, in 1916
- William J. Asselin, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Chicopee, Massachusetts, 1953
- Stuart Asselin, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from New York County 5th District, 1933
- Christopher P. Asselin, American Democrat politician, Elected Massachusetts State House of Representatives Ninth Hampden District 2002
- Charles B. Asselin (1893-1982), American Democrat politician, Member of Michigan State Senate 24th District, 1933-34; Defeated, 1934, 1944; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 10th District, 1936, 1938
- Dominique Joseph Asselin de Williencourt, French Brigadier General during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars from 1789 to 1815
- Marie-Anne Asselin (1888-1971), French Canadian mezzo-soprano and voice teacher
- Patrick Asselin (b. 1987), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Kevin Asselin (b. 1985), Canadian professional ice hockey player
- Edmund Tobin Asselin (1920-1999), Canadian politician, administrator and businessman
- Pierre-Aurèle Asselin (1881-1964), French Canadian furrier and tenor singer
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
This page was last modified on 8 October 2015 at 15:03.
on orders of $85 or more