Aronoff History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Aronoff is derived from a proud symbol of ancient Jewish culture. Before the late Middle Ages, people were known only by a single name. However, as the population increased and travelers set out on their journeys, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves.
Jewish hereditary surnames were adopted from a variety of different sources. Two of the most common types of Jewish family names are patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name.
The surname Aronoff is a patronymic surname, which comes from the Hebrew given name Aharon, meaning lofty or exalted one. However, traditionally, this surname is believed to have derived from the Hebrew word har-on, which means mountain of strength.
| Aronoff migration to the United States ||+|
Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Aronoff or a variant listed above:
Aronoff Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hyman Aronoff, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from London, England, in 1907
- Annie Aronoff, aged 23, who settled in America from Bekoff, Russia, in 1913
- Basie Aronoff, aged 13, who immigrated to the United States from Homel, Russia, in 1922
- Fanie Aronoff, aged 58, who landed in America from Homel, Russia, in 1922
- Braina Aronoff, aged 21, who landed in America from Rogacheff, Russia, in 1923
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Aronoff (post 1700) ||+|
- Stanley J. Aronoff (b. 1932), American politician of the Republican party
- Kenny Aronoff (b. 1953), American drummer
- Karen Aronoff, American Democratic Party politician, Member, Platform Committee, Democratic National Convention, 2008 
- Charles Aronoff, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for U.S. Representative from Michigan 15th District, 1936, 1958