100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Arnott was first found in Yorkshire
where they held a family seat
for many centuries and were recorded in the Domesday Book
a census taken by King William, Duke of Normandy
in 1086 A.D.
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Arnott have been found, including Harnett, Harnott, Arnold, Ernold, Arnot, Arnott, Aernold and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Arnott research. Another 182 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1212, 1273, and 1296 are included under the topic Early Arnott History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Arnott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Arnott family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 38 words (3 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Arnott, or a variant listed above:
Arnott Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- David Arnott, aged 20, who settled in Virginia in 1716
- Philip Arnott, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1749
- David Arnott, aged 20, arrived in Georgia in 1775
- John Arnott, who landed in America in 1795
- John Arnott, who settled in Virginia in 1795
Arnott Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Aleses Arnott, who arrived in Arkansas in 1885
- Alexander Arnott, who landed in Arkansas in 1885
Arnott Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Arnott settled in St. John's in 1812
- Archibald Arnott came to Bona Vista, Newfoundland in 1821
Arnott Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Arnott, aged 38, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Henrietta Arnott, aged 28, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Albert Arnott, aged 12, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Jemima Arnott, aged 11, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- William H. Arnott, aged 8, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Collingwood" in 1875
- Alexander Arnott, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Manchester
- Mr. Robert Arnott (d. 1915), American 2nd Class passenger from Kearney, New Jersey, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Robert D. Arnott (b. 1954), American entrepreneur, investor, editor, and writer
- Kevin Arnott (b. 1898), English footballer
- John Arnott (b. 1932), English former professional footballer
- Andy Arnott (b. 1973), English former professional footballer
- Peter R. Arnott (b. 1932), musician, composer, theatre director
- Ray Arnott, Australian rock drummer, singer and songwriter
- Robert Arnott, British archaeologist
- Simon Arnott (b. 1976), former Australian rules footballer
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Arnott Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Arnott Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 28 December 2015 at 20:20.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!