Apparry History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
From the Celtic land of Wales comes the name Apparry. The Apparry surname was a patronymic, created from the personal name Harry and thus was classified as a baptismal name. The surname featured the distinctive Welsh patronymic prefix "ap," hence the original form of the name was ap-Harry, which was assimilated into the surname over the course of time.
Early Origins of the Apparry family
The surname Apparry was first found in Carnarvonshire (Welsh: Sir Gaernarfon), a former county in Northwest Wales, anciently part of the Kingdom of Gwynedd, and today divided between the unitary authorities of Gwynedd and Conwy, where they claim descent from Moreiddig o'r dyffryn aur (Moreiddig of the Golden Waterfall) who in turn derive their pedigree from "Rhys Chwith, an esquire of the body to King Edward I., and a descendant of the ancient Lords of Cardigan."  Later some of the family were found at Bacton in Herefordshire. "The church contains, in the north side of the chancel, a monument of the Corinthian order, with a curious inscription, to the memory of Mrs. Blanche Parry, of Newcourt, in the parish, and for many years maid of honour to Queen Elizabeth. Mrs. Blanche Parry, in 1589, bequeathed as much land as would produce 140 bushels of wheat and rye, to be divided among the poor of Bacton and the hamlet of Newton." 
Early History of the Apparry family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Apparry research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1600, 1660, 1640, 1644, 1682, 1714, 1709, 1714, 1599, 1650, 1677, 1672, 1634, 1678 and 1678 are included under the topic Early Apparry History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Apparry Spelling Variations
Welsh surnames are relatively few in number, but they have an inordinately large number of spelling variations. There are many factors that explain the preponderance of Welsh variants, but the earliest is found during the Middle Ages when Welsh surnames came into use. Scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, which often resulted in a single person's name being inconsistently recorded over his lifetime. The transliteration of Welsh names into English also accounts for many of the spelling variations: the unique Brythonic Celtic language of the Welsh had many sounds the English language was incapable of accurately reproducing. It was also common for members of a same surname to change their names slightly, in order to signify a branch loyalty within the family, a religious adherence, or even patriotic affiliations. For all of these reasons, the many spelling variations of particular Welsh names are very important. The surname Apparry has occasionally been spelled Parry, Parrey, Parrie and others.
Early Notables of the Apparry family (pre 1700)
Prominent amongst the family during the late Middle Ages was Sir George Parry (1600-1660), an English lawyer and politician who sat in the House of Commons of England from 1640 to 1644...
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Apparry Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Apparry family to Ireland
Some of the Apparry family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 74 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Apparry family
The Welsh migration to North America in the late 19th and early 20th centuries contributed greatly to its rapid development. These migrants were in search of land, work, and freedom. Those Welsh families that survived the long ocean journey were critical to the development of new industries and factories, and to the quick settlement of land. They also added to an ever-growing rich cultural heritage. A search of the immigration and passenger lists has shown a number of people bearing the name Apparry: Anne Parry, who settled in Virginia with her husband in 1637; William Parry, who came to Virginia in 1636; as did Anthony, in 1653; Davey Parry in 1663.
Related Stories +
The Apparry Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Heb Dduw heb Ddym, Duw a Dygon
Motto Translation: Without God, without anything, God is enough.
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.