The name Alvert finds its origins with the ancient Anglo-Saxons
. It was given to one who worked as a personal name
Alfred. which literally means elf counsel.
Early Origins of the Alvert family
The surname Alvert was first found in Kent
and originated there, and is one of the oldest Saxon names. The family name, originally Alured is shown in the Domesday Book
compiled in 1086, as a holder of lands in Kent
even after the Norman invasion
of 1066 by Duke William.
Early History of the Alvert family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alvert research.Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 115 and 1155 are included under the topic Early Alvert History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alvert Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Alvert has been recorded under many different variations, including Alfred, Allfred, Alured, Aelfred, Alverd and others.
Early Notables of the Alvert family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Alvert Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Alvert family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Alvert or a variant listed above: Robert Alfred who settled in Virginia at the age of 22 in 1774. George Alfred arrived in Philadelphia in 1870.