Alncrombe History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the name Alncrombe are found among the Strathclyde-Briton people of the ancient Scottish/English Borderlands. Alncrombe was originally found in Roxburghshire (Borders) at Ancrum, a small village which had earlier been called Alncromb, which literally meant "a bend in the river Ale."
Early Origins of the Alncrombe family
The surname Alncrombe was first found in Dumbartonshire, where they held a family seat in the lands of Ancrum from about the 11th century.
Early History of the Alncrombe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Alncrombe research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1358, 1361, 1370 and 1781 are included under the topic Early Alncrombe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Alncrombe Spelling Variations
In the era before dictionaries, there were no rules governing the spelling or translation of names or any other words. Consequently, there are an enormous number of spelling variations in Medieval Scottish names. Alncrombe has appeared as Ancram, Ancrum, Ancrumb, Anckrum, Ancromb, Allyncrum, Alncrum, Alyncrome, Allyncom and many more.
Early Notables of the Alncrombe family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Alncrombe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Alncrombe family
The freedom, opportunity, and land of the North American colonies beckoned. There, Scots found a place where they were generally free from persecution and where they could go on to become important players in the birth of new nations. Some fought in the American War of Independence, while others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these Scottish settlers have been able to recover their lost national heritage in the last century through highland games and Clan societies in North America. Among them: William Ancrum who settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1766.
Related Stories +