The roots of the name Allyncroombe are found among the Strathclyde-Briton people of the ancient Scottish/English Borderlands. Allyncroombe was originally found in Roxburghshire
(Borders) at Ancrum, a small village which had earlier been called Alncromb,
which literally meant "a bend in the river Ale."
Early Origins of the Allyncroombe family
The surname Allyncroombe was first found in Dumbartonshire
, where they held a family seat
in the lands of Ancrum from about the 11th century.
Early History of the Allyncroombe family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Allyncroombe research.Another 241 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1358, 1361, 1370 and 1781 are included under the topic Early Allyncroombe History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Allyncroombe Spelling Variations
In the era before dictionaries, there were no rules governing the spelling or translation of names or any other words. Consequently, there are an enormous number of spelling variations
in Medieval Scottish names. Allyncroombe has appeared as Ancram, Ancrum, Ancrumb, Anckrum, Ancromb, Allyncrum, Alncrum, Alyncrome, Allyncom and many more.
Early Notables of the Allyncroombe family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Allyncroombe Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Allyncroombe family to the New World and Oceana
The freedom, opportunity, and land of the North American colonies beckoned. There, Scots found a place where they were generally free from persecution and where they could go on to become important players in the birth of new nations. Some fought in the American War of Independence
, while others went north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. The ancestors of all of these Scottish settlers have been able to recover their lost national heritage in the last century through highland games and Clan
societies in North America. Among them: William Ancrum who settled in Charles Town [Charleston], South Carolina in 1766.