The ancient Anglo-Saxon
surname Aillawey came from the Old English personal name Æthelwig,
which originally meant noble-war, Ælfwig,
which meant elf-war,
which meant old war.
Early Origins of the Aillawey family
The surname Aillawey was first found in Suffolk
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Aillawey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Aillawey research.Another 313 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1188, 1200, 1206, 1221, 1264, 1273, 1273, 1301, 1544, 1599 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Aillawey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Aillawey Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Aillawey has been recorded under many different variations, including Alway, Allway, Alewy, Alwy, Always, Allways, Ailwi, Alwi, Alawy, Alewi, Alwaye and many more.
Early Notables of the Aillawey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Aillawey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Aillawey family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Aillawey or a variant listed above: Robert Alway, who was recorded in Oxford County, Ontario in 1835; J.W. Alway in Lincoln County, Ontario in 1872; and Alfred Alway in Haldimand County, Ontario in 1877..