Ailewey is a name of Anglo-Saxon
origin and came from the Old English personal name Æthelwig,
which originally meant noble-war, Ælfwig,
which meant elf-war,
which meant old war.
Early Origins of the Ailewey family
The surname Ailewey was first found in Suffolk
, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
Early History of the Ailewey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ailewey research.Another 313 words (22 lines of text) covering the years 1188, 1200, 1206, 1221, 1264, 1273, 1273, 1301, 1544, 1599 and 1681 are included under the topic Early Ailewey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ailewey Spelling Variations
in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred
years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Ailewey have been found, including Alway, Allway, Alewy, Alwy, Always, Allways, Ailwi, Alwi, Alawy, Alewi, Alwaye and many more.
Early Notables of the Ailewey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Ailewey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ailewey family to the New World and Oceana
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England
. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England
, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Among the first immigrants of the name Ailewey, or a variant listed above to cross the Atlantic and come to North America were : Robert Alway, who was recorded in Oxford County, Ontario in 1835; J.W. Alway in Lincoln County, Ontario in 1872; and Alfred Alway in Haldimand County, Ontario in 1877..