Zelinsky History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Zelinsky comes from the Polish word "ziel," which is the color green, and as such many of the variants of this name were associated with growing things. As a surname, it may be also have been habitational name, taken on from any of many place named with this word.
Early Origins of the Zelinsky family
The surname Zelinsky was first found in Novwina in Cracow, a province of Poland which lies centrally, bounded by Kielce, Lublin, Silesia and Lwow. The capitol city is Cracow, said to be the intellectual center of Poland. The region is composed of Poles and Gorale (Highlanders) who speak their own dialect and wear picturesque costumes. The chief towns of the province are Cracow, Tarnow, and Nowy Sacz. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Important Dates for the Zelinsky family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zelinsky research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1661, 1605 and 1790 are included under the topic Early Zelinsky History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zelinsky Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Zelinski, Zelisnick, Zielonka, Zelewski, Zielinski, Zieleniewski and many more.
Early Notables of the Zelinsky family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zelinsky Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zelinsky migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Zelinsky Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Zelinsky Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Zelinsky, who sailed from Hamburg to New York in 1871
Zelinsky Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Joseph Zelinsky, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1905
- David Zelinsky, aged 50, who immigrated to America from Odessa, Russia, in 1907
- Elena Zelinsky, aged 19, who landed in America from Minsk, Russia, in 1907
- Ignatz Zelinsky, aged 35, who landed in America from Berestecko, Russia, in 1911
- Josef Zelinsky, aged 26, who landed in America from Borowjove, Russia, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Zelinsky (post 1700)
- Paul O. Zelinsky (b. 1953), American author and illustrator of children's books recipient of the Caldecott Medal in 1998 for his Rapunzel, best known for his The Wheels on the Bus
- Wilbur Zelinsky (b. 1921), American cultural geographer, professor emeritus at Pennsylvania State University
- Dean B. Zelinsky (1957-1976), American guitar luthier who founded Dean Guitars in 1976 and DBZ Guitars in 2008
- Alexander "Alex" Zelinsky (b. 1960), Australian computer scientist, systems engineer and roboticist
You May Also Like