Wolfinger History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Various forms of this name all derive from the German word wolf or the Low German wulf. Wolfinger is generally thought to be a habitational name for someone from Wolfing in Bavaria
Early Origins of the Wolfinger family
The surname Wolfinger was first found in "heroic poetry [where] Herzog Wülfing (hero under Ermanarich), [was] slain by Alphart; the warriors of Theoderich are called "Wülfings". Wülfinch of Chafenbergh, Kremsmünster, Austria 1179. Pulsab Wölfing, Eger, 1411." 
In Norse sagas, the Wulfings, Wylfings or Ylfings was a powerful Clan in Beowulf, Widsith in Eastern Geats, Sweden.
Early History of the Wolfinger family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wolfinger research. Another 26 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1556 and 1763 are included under the topic Early Wolfinger History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wolfinger Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wolffing, Wolfing, Wolfinger, Wolffinger, Wulfing, Wulffing and many more.
Early Notables of the Wolfinger family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wolfinger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wolfinger migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wolfinger Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Barent Wolfinger, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1732
- Bastian Wolfinger, who settled in Philadelphia in 1732
- Barent Wolfinger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732 
- Jacob Wolfinger, who settled in Philadelphia in 1754
- Jacob Wolfinger, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754 
Wolfinger Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anna Maria Wolfinger, age 9, and Frederick Wolfinger, age 18, who both arrived in Baltimore in 1830
- Salomon Wolfinger, who landed in Ohio in 1834 
- Juste Wolfinger, aged 50, who landed in New York in 1854 
- Justie Wolfinger, aged 22, who arrived in New York in 1854 
- Cathe Wolfinger, aged 4, who landed in New York in 1854 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Wolfinger (post 1700) +
- Norman Robert "Norm" Wolfinger (1945-2016), American State Attorney for the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit Court of Florida
Related Stories +
- ^ Bahlow, Hans, Dictionary of German Names. translated by Edda Gentry, Wisconsin: The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-924119-35-7)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)