100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Italian
The Vigil surname comes from the word "vigil, " which is from the Latin "vigilia," meaning "wakefulness." As a surname, Vigil may have originally been a nickname
for someone wakeful or watchful, or it may have come from the town of Vigil, in Asturias
The surname Vigil was first found in Asturias
, on the Bay of Biscay, northwestern Spain
became part of the kingdom of León on the accession of King Alfonso III in 866, and was made a principality in 1388.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vigil, Vgildo, Vigildos and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vigil research. Another 201 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1669, 1686, 1664, 1834, 1641, 1655, 1586, 1694, 1736, 1738, 1741, 1758 and 1703 are included under the topic Early Vigil History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vigil Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vigil Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Jose Vigil, who arrived in Havana, Cuba, from Santander, Spain, aboard the "Mozart," in 1852
- Juan Vigil, who arrived in Havana, Cuba from Gijon, Spain in 1858
- Gerardo Vigil, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1893
- Ferdinand Vigil, age 19, who arrived at Ellis Island New York from Havana in 1893, aboard the "Cuidad Condal"
- Gerardo Vigil, age 16, who arrived at Ellis Island New York in 1893 from Yucatan, Mexico
Vigil Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Julio Vigil, aged 23, who emigrated to America, in 1922
- Carol Jean Vigil (1946-2009), American judge based in the state of New Mexico
- Edward Vigil, legislator in the U.S. state of Colorado
- Juan N. Vigil, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from New Mexico, 1928; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Mexico, 1944
- John Vigil, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1980
- John Vigil, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1972
- J. U. Vigil, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 1908
- Diane Vigil, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1996
- Charles S. Vigil, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Colorado 4th District, 1988
- Charles S. Vigil, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Colorado, 1951-53
- Robert E. Vigil, American Democrat politician, New Mexico State Auditor, 1991-
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Vigil Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vigil Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 December 2015 at 10:06.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!