100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, German
The Dutch surname Timmerman shares the same root as the German surname Zimmer, from the German for "carpenter." In the northern part of Germany, especially between Bremen and Königsberg, which borders the Netherlands and where a dialect of Low German very similar to Dutch was spoken, the surname Zimmer appears as Timmer.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Timmer, Timmers, Timmermann, Timmerman, Timmermans and many more.
First found in Bettingerode near Brunswick, where Conrad Tymberman was recorded in 1332. Records for the year 1350 mention one named Timberlaghs from Haldensleben.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Timmerman research. Another 191 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Timmerman History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 25 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Timmerman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Timmerman Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jan Cornelisz Timmerman, who landed in New York, NY in 1639
- Gunne Turckelson Timmerman, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1649
- Turckelson Timmerman, who arrived in Delaware in 1649
- Dirck Jansz Timmerman, who arrived in New York in 1650
Timmerman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Peter Timmerman, who landed in New York in 1709
- Koenraet Timmerman, who arrived in New York in 1709
- Willem Timmerman, who landed in New York in 1709
- Matys Timmerman, who landed in New York in 1709
- Jacob Timmerman, who arrived in New York in 1715-1716
Timmerman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Francis Timmerman, aged 24, landed in Missouri in 1845
- Berent Timmerman, aged 47, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Hendrick Timmerman, aged 20, arrived in New York, NY in 1847
- Henry Timmerman, aged 19, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- Mannes Timmerman, aged 16, landed in New York, NY in 1847
- George Bell Timmerman Sr. (1881-1966), United States federal judge
- William "Bill" Timmerman, American Chairman, President and CEO of SCANA Corporation
- Lawrence J. Timmerman (1878-1959), American Chairman of the Milwaukee County Board of Supervisors from 1936 to 1959, eponym of Lawrence J. Timmerman Airport
- George Bell Timmerman Jr. (1912-1994), American politician, 105th Governor of South Carolina from 1955 to 1959
- Kenneth R. Timmerman (b. 1953), American journalist, political writer, and conservative Republican activist
- Adam Larry Timmerman (b. 1971), American retired NFL football guard
- George H. Timmerman, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1912
- Mrs. George Bell Timmerman Jr., American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Carolina, 1956
- George Bell Timmerman Jr. (1912-1994), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Carolina, 1948, 1956; Governor of South Carolina, 1955-59
- Frank Elbert Timmerman (b. 1900), American politician, Member of South Carolina State Senate from Edgefield County, 1957-64
- The Descendants of Lieut. Henry Timmerman of Herkimer County, New York By Carolyn Timmerman Sidenius.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Gottschald, Max. Deutsche Namenkunde unsere Familiennamen nach ihrer Entstehung und Bedeutung. München: J.F. Lehmanns Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Haverkamp, Alfred. Medieval Germany 1056-1273 2nd edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Brechenmacher, Josef Karlmann. Deutches Namenbuch. Stuttgart: Verlag von Adolf Bonz & Comp, 1928. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
The Timmerman Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Timmerman Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 November 2015 at 10:35.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!