100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tillotson family come from? When did the Tillotson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tillotson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilston, Tillston, Tillstone, Tilson, Tillson, Tillstone, Tillotson, Dilson, Dillson, Dilsen and many more.
First found in Cheshire at Tilston, a village and a civil parish that was anciently the site of the Roman town Bovium, which was on the Roman road between Chester and Wroxeter. By the time of the Conquest, the village was known as Tilleston which was the spelling used in the Domesday Book of 1086. At that time, the lands were held by Eynion de Tilston, and was granted to him by Hugh Lupus, the nephew of King William I.  It is presumed that the village was so named having derived from an Old English personal name + "stan" as in the "stone of a man called Tilli or Tilla." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tillotson research. Another 209 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1676, 1630, 1694, 1694, 1630, 1694, 1672, 1691, 1694, 1695, 1704, 1672, 1738, 1639, 1655, 1635, 1639, 1634 and 1639 are included under the topic Early Tillotson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 137 words (10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tillotson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Tillotson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 89 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tillotson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Tillotson, who landed in Rowley, Massachusetts in 1648
Tillotson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Tillotson who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1853
- Robert Livingston Tillotson (1786-1878), American lawyer and politician, Secretary of State of New York (1816-1817)
- Peter S. Tillotson (b. 1936), American basketball player
- Neil Tillotson (1898-2001), American inventor of the modern latex balloon and latex gloves
- Thaddeus "Thad" Asa Tillotson (1940-2012), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Thomas Tillotson (1750-1832), American politician, Secretary of State of New York (1801-1806) and (1807-1808)
- Mary Tillotson, American broadcast journalist
- Johnny Tillotson (b. 1939), American singer and songwriter
- Stephen Tillotson (b. 1884), English professional association football goalkeeper
- Professor Kathleen Tillotson, English Professor of the University of London, England
- Giles Henry Rupert Tillotson (b. 1960), British historian and lecturer on Indian history and architecture
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
This page was last modified on 30 September 2014 at 08:02.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!