100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tillotson family come from? When did the Tillotson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tillotson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilston, Tillston, Tillstone, Tilson, Tillson, Tillstone, Tillotson, Dilson, Dillson, Dilsen and many more.
First found in Cheshire at Tilston, a village and a civil parish that was anciently the site of the Roman town Bovium, which was on the Roman road between Chester and Wroxeter. By the time of the Conquest, the village was known as Tilleston which was the spelling used in the Domesday Book of 1086. At that time, the lands were held by Eynion de Tilston, and was granted to him by Hugh Lupus, the nephew of King William I.  It is presumed that the village was so named having derived from an Old English personal name + "stan" as in the "stone of a man called Tilli or Tilla." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tillotson research. Another 209 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1676, 1630, 1694, 1694, 1630, 1694, 1672, 1691, 1694, 1695, 1704, 1672, 1738, 1639, 1655, 1635, 1639, 1634 and 1639 are included under the topic Early Tillotson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 137 words(10 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tillotson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Tillotson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 89 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tillotson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Tillotson, who landed in Rowley, Massachusetts in 1648
Tillotson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Tillotson who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1853
- Johnny Tillotson (b. 1939), American singer and songwriter
- Mary Tillotson, American broadcast journalist
- Thomas Tillotson (1750-1832), American politician, Secretary of State of New York (1801-1806) and (1807-1808)
- Thaddeus "Thad" Asa Tillotson (1940-2012), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Neil Tillotson (1898-2001), American inventor of the modern latex balloon and latex gloves
- Peter S. Tillotson (b. 1936), American basketball player
- Robert Livingston Tillotson (1786-1878), American lawyer and politician, Secretary of State of New York (1816-1817)
- Professor Kathleen Tillotson, English Professor of the University of London, England
- Stephen Tillotson (b. 1884), English professional association football goalkeeper
- Giles Henry Rupert Tillotson (b. 1960), British historian and lecturer on Indian history and architecture
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
This page was last modified on 30 September 2014 at 08:02.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!