on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tatham family come from? When did the Tatham family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tatham family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tatham, Tatam, Tatem, Tatum, Tatim, Tathem, Tattum and many more.
First found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1208 when William Tatham held estates. It is said that King John, while being the Earl of Moreton, gave the service of William of Tatham to Robert de Monte Begon (probably about 1185).
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tatham research. Another 211 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1230, 1185, 1455, 1487, 1632, 1664, 1632 and 1641 are included under the topic Early Tatham History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 43 words(3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tatham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tatham Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Bartholomew Tatham who settled in New York in 1698
Tatham Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Catherine Tatham who arrived in New York in 1720
- William Tatham, who arrived in Virginia in 1769
- Benjamin Tatham who settled in Philadelphia in 1798
Tatham Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Tatham who settled in San Francisco in 1851
- Charles Tatham, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Tatham Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Tatham arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Bolton" in 1849
- Henry Tatham arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Bolton" in 1849
Tatham Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Tatham arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Phoenix" in 1860
- Charles Heathcote Tatham (1772-1842), English architect from London
- Dr Ralph Tatham (1778-1857), English academic and churchman
- Agnes Clara Tatham, British painter
- Douglas Spence Tatham, attorney in South Africa
- Ernest John Tatham (1861-1943), British physician and surgeon
- Frederic Spence Tatham (1865-1934), South African judge and politician
- Tamara Tatham (b. 1985), Canadian professional basketball player who plays for Canada women's national basketball team
- Alisha Tatham (b. 1986), Canadian professional basketball player who plays for Canada women's national basketball team
- Frederick Tatham (1805-1878), British artist, member of the Shoreham Ancients
- Charles T. Tatham (1852-1939), Cuban two-time silver and bronze medalist fencer at the 1904 Summer Olympics
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
This page was last modified on 8 September 2014 at 00:40.
on orders of $85 or more