on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Stephenson family come from? What is the English Stephenson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stephenson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stephenson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stephenson research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stephenson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stephenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stephenson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stephenson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Ann Stephenson, who arrived in Virginia in 1636
- Christian and Anne Stephenson, who settled in Virginia in 1637
- Christian and Anne Stephenson settled in Virginia in 1637
- John Stephenson, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1645
- Christopher Stephenson, who arrived in Maryland in 1654
Stephenson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Daniel Stephenson, who landed in America in 1764
- Nancy Stephenson, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Thomas Stephenson settled in Maryland in 1774
- Thomas Stephenson, who settled in Maryland in 1774
- Stephen Stephenson, who landed in Mississippi in 1798
Stephenson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Stephenson, aged 22, arrived in New Castle or Philadelphia in 1804
- Charles Stephenson, aged 29, landed in New Castle or Philadelphia in 1804
- Henry Stephenson, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Hugh Stephenson, who landed in New York in 1812
- Isaac Stephenson, who landed in New York in 1812
Stephenson Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Joseph Stephenson who settled in Argentia, Newfoundland, in 1730
- Joseph Stephenson who settled in Argentia, in Newfoundland, in 1730
Stephenson Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Joseph Stephenson, aged 18, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the brig "Dorcas Savage" from Belfast
- Sarah Stephenson, aged 15, arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Ambassador" in 1834
- Diana Stephenson, aged 18, arrived in Quebec in 1834
- Ebenezer W Stephenson, who landed in Canada in 1836
Stephenson Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- W Stephenson, who arrived in St John, New Brunswick in 1907
Stephenson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Stephenson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Simlah" in 1849
- George Stephenson arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Countess of Yarborough" in 1850
- FRederick Stephenson, aged 30, a miller, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Joseph Somes" in 1850
- Frederick Stephenson, aged 30, a miller, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Joseph Soames"
- William Stephenson, aged 31, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Star Queen"
Stephenson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- S Stephenson landed in Bay of Islands, New Zealand in 1834 aboard the ship Fortitude
- Timothy Stephenson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- William Stephenson landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1844
- Andrew Stephenson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Zealandia" in 1861
- Robert Stephenson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Nimroud" in 1863
- John Winfield Stephenson (1923-2015), American actor, most active in voice-over roles, best known for his work on The Hobbit (1977), Charlotte's Web (1973) and The Flintstones (1960)
- Samuel M. Stephenson (1803-1859), U.S. politician from Michigan
- Riggs Stephenson (1898-1985), U.S. baseball player
- Neal Town Stephenson (b. 1959), American Hugo Award winning writer known primarily for his science fiction works
- Jean Stephenson, award-winning California artist and teacher
- Earl Stephenson (b. 1947), American former Major League Baseball pitcher
- John Stephenson OBE, English Academy Award winning and BAFTA Award nominated director, best known for his work on The English Patient (1996), Babe (1995) and 101 Dalmatians
- George Robert Stephenson (1819-1905), English civil engineer
- Debra Stephenson (b. 1972), English actress, comedian, impressionist and singer
- Mr. R Stephenson, British Ship Write, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
The Stephenson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stephenson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 18:54.
on orders of $85 or more