100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Skilton was first found in Cumberland, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Skelton, before the Norman Conquest and arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. By the 11th century they had acquired Armathwaite Castle in that same shire, and later branched to Branthwaite and High House in that shire. "Armathwaite Castle [in Cumberland], a handsome modern edifice, built on the site of an ancient fortress, occupies a rocky elevation, at the foot of which flows the Eden; in the reign of Henry VIII. it was, with the estate, the property of John Skelton (c. 1463-1529), the poet-laureat. The chapel was rebuilt by Richard Skelton in 1668, having for some time previously been used as a shed for cattle." 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Skelton, Skeldon and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Skilton research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1460, 1529, 1512, 1641, 1696, 1672, 1674, 1691 and are included under the topic Early Skilton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 99 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Skilton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Skilton family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Skilton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Skilton, who arrived in New England in 1711
Skilton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mary Skilton, aged 23, landed in Key West, Fla in 1837
Skilton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Skilton arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "John Masterman" in 1857
- Charles Sanford Skilton (1868-1941), American composer, teacher and musicologist
- Raymond Nelson Skilton (1889-1961), American professional ice hockey defenseman
- Joel W. Skilton, American Republican politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Morris, 1902
- James G. Skilton, American politician, First Selectman of Watertown, Connecticut, 1904-11
- Ernest W. Skilton, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Morris; Elected 1920
- Elton Skilton, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 1952
- Edward Skilton (1863-1917), British Olympic sport shooter
- Emmett Skilton (b. 1987), New Zealand based actor
- Robert John "Bob" Skilton (b. 1938), Australian rules football player
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
This page was last modified on 9 March 2016 at 13:32.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!