on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Skilton was first found in Cumberland
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Skelton, before the Norman Conquest
and arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D. By the 11th century they had acquired Armathwaite Castle in that same shire, and later branched to Branthwaite and High House in that shire. "Armathwaite Castle [in Cumberland], a handsome modern edifice, built on the site of an ancient fortress, occupies a rocky elevation, at the foot of which flows the Eden; in the reign of Henry VIII. it was, with the estate, the property of John Skelton (c. 1463-1529), the poet-laureat. The chapel was rebuilt by Richard Skelton in 1668, having for some time previously been used as a shed for cattle." 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Skelton, Skeldon and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Skilton research. Another 165 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1460, 1529, 1512, 1641, 1696, 1672, 1674, 1691 and are included under the topic Early Skilton History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 99 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Skilton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Skilton family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Skilton Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Skilton, who arrived in New England in 1711
Skilton Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Mary Skilton, aged 23, landed in Key West, Fla in 1837
Skilton Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Skilton arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "John Masterman" in 1857
- Charles Sanford Skilton (1868-1941), American composer, teacher and musicologist
- Raymond Nelson Skilton (1889-1961), American professional ice hockey defenseman
- Joel W. Skilton, American Republican politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Morris, 1902
- James G. Skilton, American politician, First Selectman of Watertown, Connecticut, 1904-11
- Ernest W. Skilton, American Republican politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Morris; Elected 1920
- Elton Skilton, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Connecticut, 1952
- Edward Skilton (1863-1917), British Olympic sport shooter
- Emmett Skilton (b. 1987), New Zealand based actor
- Robert John "Bob" Skilton (b. 1938), Australian rules football player
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. Socts Heraldry A Practical Handbook on the Historical Principles and Modern Application of the Art of Science. London: Oliver and Boyd, 1934. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
This page was last modified on 9 March 2016 at 13:32.
on orders of $85 or more