The name Simoni originated from the personal name
Simon, itself a derivative of the Hebrew
name "Sim'on," from the verb "sama" meaning "to listen." Thus, the name Simoni means "God has listened," referring to the gratitude of the parents who, having wished for a child, had their prayers answered.
Early Origins of the Simoni family
The surname Simoni was first found in Trapani, anciently Drepanum, Sicily
. Bearers of Simoni or one of its spelling variations
have been found throughout southern Italy, but particularly on the island of Sicily
, and in the region of Campania.
Early History of the Simoni family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Simoni research.Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1554, 1605, 1346, 1358, 1410, 1480, 1506, 1522, 1605, 1650 and 1710 are included under the topic Early Simoni History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Simoni Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Simone, Simonelli, Simonetti, Simoni, Simioni, Desimone and many more.
Early Notables of the Simoni family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of this surname in early times was Puccio di Simone ( fl.
1346-1358), an Italian Gothic painter, active in Florence; Francesco (Cicco) Simonetta (1410-1480), an Italian Renaissance
statesman remembered for composing an... Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Simoni Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Simoni family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Simoni Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Achille Simoni, aged 30, who immigrated to the United States from Faedo, Austria, in 1910
- Adele Simoni, aged 19, who immigrated to America from Patrica, Italy, in 1912
- Alessandro Simoni, aged 29, who landed in America from Patrica, Italy, in 1912
- Achille Simoni, aged 18, who landed in America from Norcia, Italy, in 1913
- Allessandrina Simoni, aged 22, who settled in America from Pollegio, Italy, in 1919
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Simoni (post 1700)
- Dario Simoni (1901-1984), American two-time Academy Award winning set decorator of Lawrence of Arabia (1962) and Doctor Zhivago (1965)
- Simone Simoni (1532-1632), Italian philosopher and physician
- Giuseppe Simoni (b. 1944), Italian biologist and scientist
- Giampiero Simoni (b. 1969), Italian former racing driver
- Gilberto Simoni (b. 1971), Italian ex-professional road bicycle racer
- Alexandre Torres Simoni (b. 1979), retired professional Brazilian tennis player