on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The spelling and overall form of Irish names tend to vary widely. The original Gaelic form of the name Sheehan is O Siodhachain, which may be derived from "siodhach," which means "peaceful."
The surname Sheehan was first found in County Limerick
(Irish: Luimneach) located in Southwestern Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times.
Irish names were rarely spelled with much consistency during the Middle Ages. As the many spelling variations of the name Sheehan dating from that time attests: Sheehan, Sheeham, Sheahan, O'Sheehan, Sheagan and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Sheehan research. Another 382 words (27 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Sheehan History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
More information is included under the topic Early Sheehan Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
The 19th century brought a massive reduction in Ireland's population. It seemed that during the Great Potato Famine
of the late 1840s the Irish people had two options: starve or immigrate. Those that chose the later frequently headed for the United States, hopeful for land, work, and equality. Those determined for free land joined the migration west; while others stayed behind to live in urban centers and often work in factories. Still others began a transitory life in work camps, building the bridges, canals, railways, and highways so critical to the rapidly development of the growing industrial nation. Early passenger and immigration lists have shown many early immigrants bearing the name Sheehan:
Sheehan Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Sheehan, his wife Bridget, and six children arrived in Prescott in 1825
- Godfrey Sheehan, who landed in Charleston, South Carolina in 1827
- Jeremiah Sheehan, who landed in Mississippi in 1840
- Daniel, Denis, James, Michael, Patrick, Thomas, and William Sheehan all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870
- Cornelious Sheehan, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1842
Sheehan Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. Walter Butler Sheehan U.E. who settled in Home District [York County], Ontario c. 1784 he served in the 34th Regiment
Sheehan Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Anne Sheehan, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1823
- Cornelius Sheehan, who arrived in Canada in 1823
- Honors Sheehan, who arrived in Canada in 1823
- Joanna Sheehan, who arrived in Canada in 1823
- Mary, Sheehan Jr., who arrived in Canada in 1823
Sheehan Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Ann Sheehan, aged 17, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Elgin"
- Ann Sheehan, aged 17, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Elgin" in 1849
- John Sheehan, aged 38, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Charlotte Jane"
- Catherine Sheehan, aged 20, a housemaid, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "William Hammond"
- Mary Sheehan, aged 18, a housemaid, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "William Hammond"
Sheehan Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- David Sheehan landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1842 aboard the ship Bolivia
- Daniel Sheehan arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gipsy" in 1854
- Edward Sheehan, aged 27, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Reiherstieg" in 1864
- Honora Sheehan, aged 26, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Reiherstieg" in 1864
- Mary Sheehan, aged 14, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Reiherstieg" in 1864
- Thomas Clancy "Tom" Sheehan (1894-1982), American Major League Baseball pitcher, scout and manager
- Michael Jarboe Sheehan (b. 1939), American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church, 11th Archbishop of Santa Fe (1993-)
- Tyler Allen Sheehan (b. 1987), American football quarterback
- Patty Sheehan (b. 1956), American professional LPGA golfer with 35 LPGA wins, inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame
- Susan Sheehan (b. 1937), American journalist, she won the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1983
- William F "Blue Eyed Billy" Sheehan (1859-1917), American politician, Lieutenant Governor of New York, 1892-1894
- Cornelius Mahoney "Neil" Sheehan (b. 1936), American journalist awarded the 1989 Pulitzer Prize for General Nonfiction
- Michael Sheehan (1945-1949), Irish politician, Lord Mayor of Cork
- Michael Sheehan (1870-1945), Irish priest, educator and Catholic Coadjutor Archbishop of Sydney in Australia (1922-1937)
- The Very Reverend Patrick Augustine Canon Sheehan (1852-1913), Irish Catholic priest, author and political activist
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Read, Charles Anderson. The Cabinet of Irish Literature Selections from the Works of the Chief Poets, Orators and Prose Writers of Ireland 4 Volumes. London: Blackie and Son, 1884. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
The Sheehan Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Sheehan Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 June 2016 at 20:43.
on orders of $85 or more