on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
Irish names tend to vary widely in their spelling and overall form. The original Gaelic form of the name Shea is O Seaghdha, which is modified to O Se. The surname is derived from the word seaghdha which means hawk like but has a secondary meaning of stately.
The surname Shea was first found in County Kerry
(Irish:Ciarraí) part of the former County Desmond
(14th-17th centuries), located in Southwestern Ireland
, in Munster
province, where they held a family seat
from ancient times.
A name was often recorded during the Middle Ages under several different spelling variations during the life of its bearer because literacy was rare there was no real push to clearly define any of the languages found in the British Isles at that time. Variations found of the name Shea include O'Shea, O'Shee, McShea, McShee and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shea research. Another 232 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1172 and 1500 are included under the topic Early Shea History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shea Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Death and immigration greatly reduced Ireland's population in the 19th century. For the native Irish people poverty, hunger, and racial prejudice was common. Therefore, thousands left their homeland to seek opportunity in North America. Those who survived the journey and the quarantine camps to which they arrived, were instrumental towards building the strong developing nations of the United States and the future Canada. By far, the largest influx of Irish settlers occurred with Great Potato Famine
during the late 1840s. These were employed as construction or factory workers. An examination of passenger and immigration lists has shown early immigrants bearing the name Shea:
Shea Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jone Shea, who landed in Maryland in 1678
- Nicholas Shea, who landed in Maryland in 1678
Shea Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Shea, who arrived in Virginia in 1703
- Luke Shea, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1720
- Timothy Shea, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1766
- James Shea, who landed in America in 1794
Shea Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Philip Shea, who landed in America in 1801
- Peter Shea, who arrived in America in 1803
- Mary Shea, who landed in Massachusetts in 1813
- Michael Shea, who arrived in New York, NY in 1838
- Jeremiah Shea, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1842
Shea Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mike Shea, who landed in Arkansas in 1902
- Will Shea, who landed in Arkansas in 1906
Shea Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Richard Shea, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1803
- Jane Shea, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1808
- Robert Shea, aged 36, arrived in Canada in 1823
- Simon Shea, aged 2, landed in Canada in 1823
- Bridget Shea, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1828
Shea Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Shea, aged 30, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Elgin"
- Luke Shea, aged 31, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Cheapside"
- Luke Shea arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cheapside" in 1849
- Mary Shea, aged 30, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Elgin" in 1849
- Catherine Shea arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Inconstant" in 1849
Shea Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- E Shea landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1843
- Michael Shea, aged 26, a ploughman, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Waitangi" in 1874
- Michael Shea, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Salisbury" in 1874
- Ellen Shea, aged 24, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Salisbury" in 1874
- Daniel Shea, aged 3, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Salisbury" in 1874
- John Joseph Shea Jr. (1924-2015), American medical doctor, professor and surgeon
- Major-General George David Shea (1894-1971), American Commanding General 10th Mountain Division (1951-1953)
- John F. Shea Jr. (1928-2013), American businessman, jurist, and politician, Member of the Connecticut House of Representatives (1961-1962)
- Michael Shea (1943-2014), American fantasy, horror and science fiction writer
- Mike Shea (1867-1927), American Major League pitcher for the Cincinnati Reds in the late 19th century
- Michael Shea (1952-1968), American child actor, best known for his role as Huckleberry Finn in 1968
- John Gilmary Shea (1824-1892), American writer, editor, and historian
- Jack Shea (b. 1928), American film and television director, president of the Directors Guild of America from 1997 to 2002
- Amos Shea (1910-2002), American double-gold medalist in speed skating at the 1932 Winter Olympics
- George Beverly "Bev" Shea (1909-2013), Canadian-born, American Grammy Award-winning gospel singer and hymn composer
- Shay Families with Roots in Lebanon County, Pennsylvania by Thomas P. Shay.
- O'Hart, John. Irish Pedigress 5th Edition in 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0737-4).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1978. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1992. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Shea Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Shea Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 March 2016 at 12:04.
on orders of $85 or more