100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The name Schulz comes from one of those ancient dukedoms, territories and states that would eventually form a part of present day Germany. At its birth in the Middle Ages, it was used to indicate someone who worked as a town-mayor derived from the medieval name "Schultheis" which has the same meaning.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Schultz, Schultheis, Schultes, Schultz, Schultze, Schulz, Scholz and many more.
First found in Switzerland, where branches of this estimable family were elevated to the ranks of the nobility and came to possess great political influence. The name stems from the medaieval name "Schultheis" which meant "town-mayor."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Schulz research. Another 539 words (38 lines of text) covering the years 1224, 1680, 1661, 1693, 1719, 1615, 1683, 1747, 1800, 1770, 1849, 1808 and 1883 are included under the topic Early Schulz History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 123 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Schulz Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Schulz Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Gottlob Schulz, who arrived in America in 1782
Schulz Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Christine Schulz, who landed in North America in 1832-1849
- Rosina Schulz, aged 36, arrived in America in 1838
- Andreas Schulz with his wife Anna Schmidt and three children emigrated to Texas in the 1840s
- Dorothea Schulz, aged 70, arrived in America in 1843
- Johann Friedrich Schulz, who arrived in America in 1843
Schulz Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ottilie Schulz, who landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Rudolf Schulz, aged 4, landed in New York, NY in 1901
- Mathilda Schulz, aged 2, arrived in New York, NY in 1901
- Adolf Schulz, aged 18, arrived in America in 1901
- Angert Schulz, aged 16, arrived in America in 1901
Schulz Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- David Schulz, who arrived in Manitoba in 1876
Schulz Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Fransciscus Fried Carl Schulz, aged 23, arrived in South Australia in 1847 aboard the ship "Gellert"
- J. Gottlieb Schulz, aged 42, arrived in South Australia in 1847 aboard the ship "Gellert"
- Richard A. Schulz (1917-1998), American professional basketball player
- Brad Schulz, American rock and roll drummer
- Peter Schulz (1930-2013), German politician, 1st Mayor of Hamburg (1971-1974)
- Thorsten Schulz (b. 1984), German footballer
- Daniel Schulz (b. 1986), German footballer
- Nico Schulz (b. 1993), German footballer
- Frank Schulz (b. 1961), German football coach and a former player
- Emil Schulz (1938-2010), German silver and bronze medalist boxer and five-time amateur champion
- Jürgen Schulz (b. 1952), retired German footballer
- Karl Friedrich "Fritz" Wilhelm Schulz (1897-1976), German general serving during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Hildenbrand, A.M. Wappenfibel. Handbuch der Heraldik. Neustadt an der Aisch: 1970. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
The Schulz Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Schulz Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 March 2016 at 19:35.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!