Non-Gaelic elements made their first appearance in Irish nomenclature after the Strongbow
settlers began to arrive on Irish shores. Although the Irish already had an established a system of hereditary surnames
, the Anglo- Normans
also brought their own traditions with them when they arrived. The two systems were not extremely conflicting, and eventually drew upon one another. Although local
surnames, such as Rucky, were not entirely unknown to the Irish, this form of surname was much more popular with the Strongbownians. Local
names were taken from the names of a place or a geographical feature where the person lived, held land, or was born. Originally, these place names were prefixed by de, which means from in French. This type of prefix was eventually either made a part of the surname, if the place name began with a vowel, or was eliminated entirely. The local names of these Anglo-Norman invaders first referred to places in Normandy
, or more typically England
, but eventually for those Strongbownians or their descendents that remained in Ireland
, the local names really did begin to refer to local places or geographical features of the island. The Rucky family appears to have originally lived in a rocky area or near some notable rock. The surname Rucky is derived from the Old French word roche, which means rock. The surname Rucky belongs to the class of topographic surnames, which were given to people who resided near physical features such as hills, streams, churches, or types of trees. The Gaelic form of the surname Rucky is de Róiste.
Early Origins of the Rucky family
The surname Rucky was first found in County Limerick
(Irish: Luimneach) located in Southwestern Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, where they were granted lands by Strongbow
whom they accompanied into Ireland
during the Anglo- Norman invasion
Early History of the Rucky family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Rucky research.Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1588, 1929, 1573, 1635, 1600, 1595, 1660, 1624, 1640, 1643, 1576, 1629 and 1594 are included under the topic Early Rucky History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Rucky Spelling Variations
Church officials and medieval scribes often simply spelled names as they sounded. As a result, a single person's name may have been recorded a dozen different ways during his lifetime. Spelling variations
for the name Rucky include: Roche, Roach, Roache, LaRoche, LaRoach, DeLaRoach, Roack, Roch, Roiche, St.Roche, Rocheland, Rochellan and many more.
Early Notables of the Rucky family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Blessed John Roche (also known as John Neele or Neale), an Irish Catholic martyr, who died in London, England
in 1588, he is the patron of sailors, mariners and boatmen, beatified in 1929.
David Roche (1573-1635), Viscount Fermoy, was son and heir of Maurice, Viscount Fermoy. David succeeded to the title on his father's death in June 1600. During the rebellion of Hugh O'Neill, second earl of Tyrone
[q. v.], Roche signalised himself by his loyalty, and... Another 84 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Rucky Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Rucky family to the New World and Oceana
In the 1840s, Ireland
experienced a mass exodus to North America due to the Great Potato Famine
. These families wanted to escape from hunger and disease that was ravaging their homeland. With the promise of work, freedom and land overseas, the Irish looked upon British North America and the United States as a means of hope and prosperity. Those that survived the journey were able to achieve this through much hard work and perseverance. Early immigration and passenger lists revealed many bearing the name Rucky: William Roach settled in Virginia in 1707; Edmund, Frederick, James, John, Margaret, Mary, Michael, Patrick, Richard, Thomas and William Roach all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870.
The Rucky Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Mon Dieu est ma roche
Motto Translation: My God is my rock.
Rucky Family Crest Products