Non-Gaelic elements made their first appearance in Irish nomenclature after the Strongbow
settlers began to arrive on Irish shores. Although the Irish already had an established a system of hereditary surnames
, the Anglo- Normans
also brought their own traditions with them when they arrived. The two systems were not extremely conflicting, and eventually drew upon one another. Although local
surnames, such as Ruckey, were not entirely unknown to the Irish, this form of surname was much more popular with the Strongbownians. Local
names were taken from the names of a place or a geographical feature where the person lived, held land, or was born. Originally, these place names were prefixed by de, which means from in French. This type of prefix was eventually either made a part of the surname, if the place name began with a vowel, or was eliminated entirely. The local names of these Anglo-Norman invaders first referred to places in Normandy
, or more typically England
, but eventually for those Strongbownians or their descendents that remained in Ireland
, the local names really did begin to refer to local places or geographical features of the island. The Ruckey family appears to have originally lived in a rocky area or near some notable rock. The surname Ruckey is derived from the Old French word roche, which means rock. The surname Ruckey belongs to the class of topographic surnames, which were given to people who resided near physical features such as hills, streams, churches, or types of trees. The Gaelic form of the surname Ruckey is de Róiste.
Early Origins of the Ruckey family
The surname Ruckey was first found in County Limerick
(Irish: Luimneach) located in Southwestern Ireland
, in the province of Munster
, where they were granted lands by Strongbow
whom they accompanied into Ireland
during the Anglo- Norman invasion
Early History of the Ruckey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ruckey research.Another 97 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1588, 1929, 1573, 1635, 1600, 1595, 1660, 1624, 1640, 1643, 1576, 1629 and 1594 are included under the topic Early Ruckey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ruckey Spelling Variations
Church officials and medieval scribes often spelled early surnames as they sounded. This practice often resulted in many spelling variations
of even a single name. Early versions of the name Ruckey included: Roche, Roach, Roache, LaRoche, LaRoach, DeLaRoach, Roack, Roch, Roiche, St.Roche, Rocheland, Rochellan and many more.
Early Notables of the Ruckey family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family up to this time was Blessed John Roche (also known as John Neele or Neale), an Irish Catholic martyr, who died in London, England
in 1588, he is the patron of sailors, mariners and boatmen, beatified in 1929.
David Roche (1573-1635), Viscount Fermoy, was son and heir of Maurice, Viscount Fermoy. David succeeded to the title on his father's death in June 1600. During the rebellion of Hugh O'Neill, second earl of Tyrone
[q. v.], Roche signalised himself by his loyalty, and... Another 84 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ruckey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ruckey family to the New World and Oceana
went through one of the most devastating periods in its history with the arrival of the Great Potato Famine
of the 1840s. Many also lost their lives from typhus, fever and dysentery. And poverty was the general rule as tenant
farmers were often evicted because they could not pay the high rents. Emigration to North America gave hundreds of families a chance at a life where work, freedom, and land ownership were all possible. For those who made the long journey, it meant hope and survival. The Irish emigration to British North America and the United States opened up the gates of industry, commerce, education and the arts. Early immigration and passenger lists have shown many Irish people bearing the name Ruckey: William Roach settled in Virginia in 1707; Edmund, Frederick, James, John, Margaret, Mary, Michael, Patrick, Richard, Thomas and William Roach all arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1870.
The Ruckey Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Mon Dieu est ma roche
Motto Translation: My God is my rock.
Ruckey Family Crest Products