100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: Belgium, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Peden family come from? What is the Scottish Peden family crest and coat of arms? When did the Peden family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Peden family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Padyn, Padian, Padgen, Padine, Paddon and others.
First found in Dumfriesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Dhùn Phris), a Southern area, bordering on England that today forms part of the Dumfries and Galloway Council Area, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Peden research. Another 209 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1190, 1235, 1376, 1472, 1605, 1590, 1626, 1686 and 1663 are included under the topic Early Peden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 217 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Peden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Peden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 31 words(2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Peden Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Janet Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Eliz'th Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Alex'r Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Alexander Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- David Peden, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
Peden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Peden, who settled in Baltimore sometime between 1802 and 1828
- Edward Peden, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1808
- James Peden, who settled in New York, NY in 1816
- Robert Peden, who arrived in America in 1840
- Thomas Peden, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1860
Peden Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Adam G. Peden, who came to Ontario in 1871
Peden Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Alexander Peden, who came to Montreal in 1910
Peden Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Technician Fifth Grade Forrest E Peden (d. 1945), American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Leslie Earl Peden (1923-2002), American Major League Baseball catcher
- Preston Elmer Peden (1914-1985), U.S. Representative from Oklahoma
- Alexander Peden (1626-1686), also known as Prophet Peden in Scotland was one of the leading forces in the Covenanter movement
- Robert Lloyd Peden (b. 1973), professional boxer from Australia
- John "Jack" Peden (b. 1865), Irish footballer
- Bill Peden, Australian former rugby league footballer
- James Douglas Peden (1916-2005), Canadian basketball player
- Margaret Elizabeth Maynard Peden (1905-1981), Australian cricketer
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and Don Pottinger. Clan Map Scotland of Old. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1983. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Peden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Peden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 November 2014 at 20:08.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!