100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Belgium, Scottish
The surname Peden was first found in Dumfriesshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Dhùn Phris), a Southern area, bordering on England that today forms part of the Dumfries and Galloway Council Area, where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the census rolls taken by the ancient Kings of Scotland to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Padyn, Padian, Padgen, Padine, Paddon and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Peden research. Another 209 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1190, 1235, 1376, 1472, 1605, 1590, 1626, 1686 and 1663 are included under the topic Early Peden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 217 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Peden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Peden family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 31 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Peden Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Janet Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Eliz'th Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Alex'r Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- Alexander Peden, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- David Peden, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
Peden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Peden, who settled in Baltimore sometime between 1802 and 1828
- Edward Peden, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1808
- James Peden, who settled in New York, NY in 1816
- Robert Peden, who arrived in America in 1840
- Thomas Peden, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1860
Peden Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Adam G. Peden, who came to Ontario in 1871
Peden Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Alexander Peden, who came to Montreal in 1910
Peden Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Preston Elmer Peden (1914-1985), U.S. Representative from Oklahoma
- Leslie Earl Peden (1923-2002), American Major League Baseball catcher
- W. Chris Peden, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 2008
- Robert J. Peden, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Texas, 2000
- Preston Elmer Peden (1914-1985), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from Oklahoma 7th District, 1947-49
- Katherine Peden, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1964; Candidate for U.S. Senator from Kentucky, 1968
- Allen V. Peden, American Democrat politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Texas 8th District, 1933
- Technician Fifth Grade Forrest E Peden (d. 1945), American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- Alexander Peden (1626-1686), also known as Prophet Peden in Scotland was one of the leading forces in the Covenanter movement
- Margaret Elizabeth Maynard Peden (1905-1981), Australian cricketer
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Prebble, John. The Highland Clearances. London: Secker & Warburg, 1963. Print.
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
The Peden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Peden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 December 2015 at 15:20.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!