on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Danish, Scottish
Where did the Danish Paulsen family come from? What is the Danish Paulsen family crest and coat of arms? When did the Paulsen family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Paulsen family history?The Danish surname Paulsen is of patronymic origin; that is, it was created from the given name of the father of the original bearer of the name. The personal name Poul is a Danish form of the Latin name Paulus (in English Paul), which means "the little". This name was borne by the apostle Paul, who converted to Christianity around the year 35. In medieval Europe, people often named their children after biblical figures in hopes of invoking the protection of this figure.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Poulsen, Poulson, Palleson, Paulsen, Povlsen and others.
First found in Denmark where a Mattis Poulson, was a knight who lived during the fifteenth century. He was a native of Krakum, and died in 1477.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Paulsen research. Another 215 words (15 lines of text) covering the year 1718 is included under the topic Early Paulsen History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Paulsen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Paulsen Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jurgen Paulsen, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1642
- Klaus Paulsen, who landed in New Netherland(s) in 1662
Paulsen Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christian Paulsen, who arrived in America in 1783
Paulsen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Otto Paulsen, who arrived in North America in 1832-1849
- Ave Kistine Paulsen, aged 22, landed in New York, NY in 1869
- Iver Paulsen, who landed in Iowa in 1885
- August Paulsen, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1894
Paulsen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William Paulsen, who landed in Alabama in 1923
- Patrick Layton "Pat" Paulsen (1927-1997), American comedian and satirist, best known for his roles on the Smothers Brothers
- Robert "Rob" Fredrick Paulsen III (b. 1956), American voice actor, best known as the voice of Raphael from the 1987 cartoon of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Paul L. Paulsen, American politician, Candidate for U.S. Senator from Wyoming, 1916
- Patrick Layton Paulsen (1927-1997), American politician, Candidate for Republican nomination for President, 1968, 1972, 1976, 1992
- Louis L. Paulsen, American politician, Mayor of Coffeyville, Kansas, 1966-67
- Lenore M. Paulsen, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Oregon State House of Representatives 45th District, 1996; Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oregon, 2000
- John T. Paulsen (1837-1889), American politician, Member of Nebraska State Senate, 1889
- Ingvar Paulsen, American politician, Socialist Labor Candidate for Governor of Massachusetts, 1918, 1919
- Bill Paulsen, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 2012
- Arthur Paulsen, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Washington, 1952
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Paulsen Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Paulsen Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 January 2016 at 12:02.
on orders of $85 or more