Oppenheim History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Oppenheim surname was derived from the place named Oppenheim in the town of Hesse, between Mainz and Worms. As such, Oppenheim is classed as a habitation name, a name derived from a pre-existing town, village, parish, or farmstead name.
Early Origins of the Oppenheim family
The surname Oppenheim was first found in the Rhineland, where the name Oppenheim was closely identified in early mediaeval times with the feudal society that became prominent throughout Europe. The name later emerged as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches that become noted for their involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Important Dates for the Oppenheim family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Oppenheim research. Another 82 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1867 is included under the topic Early Oppenheim History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oppenheim Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Oppenheim, Openheim, Oppennheim, Opennheim, Oppenheime, Oppenheimm, Oppenheimer and many more.
Early Notables of the Oppenheim family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Oppenheim Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oppenheim migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Oppenheim Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Oppenheim Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- J. Dieterich Oppenheim, who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1753
Oppenheim Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H. Oppenheim, who settled in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1828
- Louis Oppenheim, aged 33, who arrived in Missouri in 1844 
- Raphael Oppenheim, aged 22, who arrived in Missouri in 1844 
- Samuel Oppenheim, aged 26, who arrived in Missouri in 1844 
- Regina Oppenheim, aged 27, who landed in New York, NY in 1848 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Oppenheim (post 1700)
- Alexander V. Oppenheim (1903-1997), British mathematician and university administrator
- Moritz Daniel Oppenheim (1800-1882), German painter
- Meret Oppenheim (1913-1985), Swiss artist and lyricist
- Max von Oppenheim (1860-1946), German diplomat and archaeologist
- Jill Arlyn Oppenheim (b. 1940), Hollywood actress known as Jill St. John
- James Oppenheim (1882-1932), US poet author and editor
- Hermann Oppenheim (1858-1919), German neurologist
- Edward Phillips Oppenheim (1866-1946), British author
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)