The ancient Scottish name Opdyke was first used by the Strathclyde-Briton people of the Scottish/English Borderlands. The original bearer of the name lived in Dutton, Lancashire.
Early Origins of the Opdyke family
The surname Opdyke was first found in Cumberland
, where one reference claims "the name, originally 'Del Dykes,' is derived from the two lines of Roman wall in 'Burgh,' from whence the family at a remote period originated." CITATION[CLOSE]
Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
Ramerus de Dikes, who lived before the reign of Henry II is the supposed ancestor of the family. The family held estates at Dovenby, in the parish of Bridekirk.
Early History of the Opdyke family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Opdyke research.Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1207, 1272, 1301, 1379, 1421, 1471, 1457, 1509, 1600, 1649, 1630, 1685, 1765, 1619, 1669, 1660, 1666, 1650, 1706, 1685, 1689, 1700 and 1756 are included under the topic Early Opdyke History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Opdyke Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Opdyke family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family at this time was Sir Thomas Dyke (1619-1669), an English politician who sat in the House of Commons from 1660 to 1666; Sir... Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Opdyke Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Opdyke family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Branches of the family, who settled at Plymouth, Newton, and Bridgewater, Massachusetts, from about the year 1640 onwards.
Contemporary Notables of the name Opdyke (post 1700)
- Neil D. Opdyke, American Distinguished Professor Emeritus in the Department of Geological Sciences at the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida
- William F. "Bill" Opdyke (b. 1958), American computer scientist, and enterprise architect at JPMorgan Chase
- George Opdyke (1805-1880), American entrepreneur and politician from Kingwood Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey, the 76th Mayor of New York City (1862-1863) during the American Civil War
- Irene Gut Opdyke (1922-2003), born Irena Gut, a Polish nurse who gained international recognition for aiding Polish Jews persecuted by Nazi Germany during World War II
Opdyke Family Crest Products
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.