The many Irish surnames in use today have long rich histories behind them. The name O'mahony originally appeared in Gaelic as O Mathghamhna, which is derived from the word mathghamhan, which means bear. The modern spelling is O Mahúna.
(Irish: Corcaigh) the ancient Kingdom of Deis Muin (Desmond), located on the southwest coast of
from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our O'mahony research.Another 179 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1014, 1639, 1679 and 1987 are included under the topic Early O'mahony History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
One must realize that attempting to record a Gaelic name in English was a daunting task. Even today the translation is a difficult one. Accordingly, spelling variations
were the norm. Variations found include Mahoney, O'Mahoney, O'Mahony, Mahony and others.
A great wave of Irish migration occurred during the 19th century as a direct result of English colonial rule and tight-fisted absentee landlords. Many of these Irish immigrants boarded passenger ships bound for North America. Those who migrated early enough were given land in either British North America or the United States; those who came in the late 19th century were typically employed in industrial centers as laborers. At whatever age they undertook the dangerous passage to North America, those Irish immigrants were essential to the speedy development of the two infant nations to which they arrived, whether they broke and settled land, helped build canals, bridges, and railroads, or produced products for consumer consumption. An examination of immigration and passenger lists has uncovered a large number of immigrants bearing the name O'mahony or one of its variants:
O'mahony Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Daniel O'Mahony, aged 19, who immigrated to the United States from Ballinishey, in 1906
- Annie O'Mahony, aged 27, who landed in America from Killarney, Ireland, in 1908
- Hannah O'Mahony, aged 19, who immigrated to the United States from Abbeyfeale, Ireland, in 1908
- Edward O'Mahony, aged 20, who landed in America from Castleisland, Ireland, in 1910
- Ellen O'Mahony, aged 25, who settled in America from Kilworth, Ireland, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)