Nyland History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Nyland was derived from the Gaelic "O Niallain," which means "descendant of Niall."
Early Origins of the Nyland family
The surname Nyland was first found in County Clare (Irish: An Clár) located on the west coast of Ireland in the province of Munster.
Important Dates for the Nyland family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nyland research. Another 82 words (6 lines of text) covering the year 1570 is included under the topic Early Nyland History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nyland Spelling Variations
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name Nyland revealed many variations, including O'Neilan, O'Neylan, Neilan, Neylan, O'Nelan and others.
Early Notables of the Nyland family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Nyland Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nyland migration to the United States
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name Nyland:
Typical Nyland Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Nyland Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- D J Nyland, aged 7, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Egbert Nyland, aged 31, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- G Nyland, aged 23, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Gerrit J Nyland, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- Jan Nyland, aged 27, who landed in New York, NY in 1850 
Contemporary Notables of the name Nyland (post 1700)
- A. J. Nyland, American Republican politician, Mayor of Grand Haven, Michigan; Elected 1908 
- William L. "Spider" Nyland (b. 1946), retired United States Marine Corps four-star General, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps from 2002 to 2005
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, May 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html