The tale of the name Neeson begins with a family who lived in any of a number of places called Ness, in Scotland
. In this case, the surname Neeson comes from the Old English word, ness,
which means headland.
Thus, the surname Neeson means someone "from the headland." However, some references claim the name came from the Gaelic personal name Ness.
Early Origins of the Neeson family
The surname Neeson was first found in Fife
, where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Neeson family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Neeson research.Another 115 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1093, 1153, 1160, 1180, and 1260 are included under the topic Early Neeson History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Neeson Spelling Variations
Before the first dictionaries appeared in the last few hundred
years, scribes spelled according to sound. spelling variations
are common among Scottish names. Neeson has been spelled Ness, Nesse, Nessan, Neeson and others.
Early Notables of the Neeson family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Neeson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Neeson family to Ireland
Some of the Neeson family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 58 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Neeson family to the New World and Oceana
In those unstable times, many had no choice but to leave their beloved homelands. Sickness and poverty hounded travelers to North America, but those who made it were welcomed with land and opportunity. These settlers gave the young nations of Canada and the United States a strong backbone as they stood up for their beliefs as United Empire Loyalists and in the American War of Independence
. In this century, the ancestors of these brave Scots have begun to recover their illustrious heritage through Clan
societies and other heritage organizations. Early passenger and immigration lists reveal many Scottish settlers bearing the name Neeson:
Neeson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry, John, Michael, Peter, Terence Neeson who, who arrived in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860
Contemporary Notables of the name Neeson (post 1700)
- Bernard "Doc" Neeson OAM (1947-2014), Australian lead singer for Australian hard rock band The Angels
- Patrick Neeson (1817-1882), Irish-born clergyman of the Roman Catholic Church
- Seán Neeson (b. 1946), Northern Ireland politician who served as leader of the Alliance Party of Northern Ireland
- Brian Kevin Neeson (b. 1945), former New Zealand politician
- Liam John Neeson OBE (b. 1952), Irish Academy Award, BAFTA and three-time Gold Globe nominated actor, known for his roles in Schindler's List, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Batman Begins and more
- Patrick Neeson Lynch (1817-1882), Irish-born clergyman of the Roman Catholic Church
Neeson Family Crest Products