Early Origins of the Meggitt family
The surname Meggitt was first found in Selkirkshire
where they held a family seat
in the parish of Yarrow. Randulf Meggat was the Chief of his Clan
, known as the Megget of Megget in the year 1190. He was a witness to the marching of the boundaries of the abbey and lands of Stobo in that year. The Clan
later became tenants of Newbattle Abbey, At Cramalt the clan erected a tower, which became their seat.
Early History of the Meggitt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Meggitt research.Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1528 and 1563 are included under the topic Early Meggitt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Meggitt Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Meggat, Megat, Meggot, Meggott, Megatt, Meggatt, Megit, Meggit, Meggitt, Megitt, Megget, Meggett, Meget, Miggot, Miggat, Miggott, Migott, Meggatson, Magetson, Maggetson, Megatson, Megetson, Meggetson, Maggot and many more.
Early Notables of the Meggitt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Meggitt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Meggitt family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Meggitt Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H. A. Meggitt, aged 44, who landed in America from Liverpool, in 1897
- Mrs. H. A. Meggitt, aged 41, who immigrated to the United States from Liverpool, in 1897
- Frederick Salt Meggitt, aged 24, who landed in America from Sheffield, in 1898
Meggitt Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- George W Meggitt, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States from Gainsborough, England, in 1912
- Joseph Meggitt, aged 69, who settled in America from Mansfield, England, in 1918
- Loxley Meggitt, aged 45, who landed in America from Sydney, Australia, in 1918
- Violet Meggitt, aged 31, who settled in America from Hull, England, in 1921
- Barbara Meggitt, aged 10, who immigrated to the United States from Scinthorpe, England, in 1921
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Meggitt (post 1700)
- Frank Meggitt (1901-1945), Welsh cricketer
- Lieutenant William Geoffrey Meggitt (1894-1927), Welsh World War I flying ace credited with six aerial victories
- Mervyn Meggitt (1924-2003), Australian anthropologist, pioneer researcher in Papua New Guinea and Aboriginal Australia