on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Irish McManus family come from? What is the Irish McManus family crest and coat of arms? When did the McManus family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the McManus family history?There are many Irish surnames being used today in forms that are quite different than their original, ancient forms. McManus originally appeared in Gaelic as Mac Maghnuis, which means son of Manus. The personal name Manus, imported into Ireland by the Norse, is ultimately derived from the Latin forename Magnus.
Names from the Middle Ages demonstrate many spelling variations. This is because the recording scribe or church official often decided as to how a person's name was spelt and in what language. Research into the name McManus revealed many variations, including MacManus, MacManners, McManus, Manus and others.
First found in County Roscommon (Irish: Ros Comáin) located in central Ireland in the province of Connacht, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our McManus research. Another 404 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1172 and 1181 are included under the topic Early McManus History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 23 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early McManus Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of Irish families left for North American shores in the 19th century. These people were searching for a life unencumbered with poverty, hunger, and racial discrimination. Many arrived to eventually find such conditions, but many others simply did not arrive: victims of the diseased, overcrowded ships in which they traveled to the New World. Those who lived to see North American shores were instrumental in the development of the growing nations of Canada and the United States. A thorough examination of passenger and immigration lists has disclosed evidence of many early immigrants of the name McManus:
McManus Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bernard McManus, who landed in America in 1804
- Bryan McManus, who landed in New York, NY in 1804
- Owen McManus, who landed in America in 1806
- William McManus, aged 26, arrived in New York, NY in 1806
- Patrick McManus, who arrived in New York, NY in 1815
McManus Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- G. or C. McManus, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1833 aboard the ship "Ward" from Limerick
- Kitty McManus arrived in Saint John, NB aboard the ship "Zephyr" in 1833
- John McManus arrived in Saint John aboard the ship "Protector" in 1834
- Hugh McManus, aged 34, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the ship "Britannia" from Sligo
- Kitty McManus, aged 30, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the ship "Britannia" from Sligo
McManus Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Henry McManus, aged 20, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "British Empire"
- Ellen McManus, aged 22, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "British Empire"
- Mary McManus, aged 24, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "British Empire"
- Ellen McManus, aged 22, a servant, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "British Empire" in 1850
- Catherine McManus, aged 18, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Nashwauk"
McManus Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hugh McManus, aged 33, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Shamrock" in 1855
- Joseph McManus, aged 29, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- Jane McManus, aged 25, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- Alexander McManus, aged 8 days, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Steinwarder" in 1864
- Catherine McManus, aged 22, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1878
- Patrick A. McManus (1859-1917), Irish-born, American Major League Baseball pitcher
- George McManus (1884-1954), American cartoonist, best known as the creator of his syndicated comic strip, Bringing Up Father
- Louis McManus (1898-1968), Emmy award-winning American television engineer and film editor
- James McManus (b. 1951), American poker player, novelist, and poet
- Danny McManus (b. 1965), American and Canadian football quarterback
- John Patrick McManus (b. 1951), Irish businessman and racehorse owner
- Peter McManus (1829-1859), Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross
- De Clan Patrick McManus (b. 1955), birth name of Elvis Costello, an English singer-songwriter, he and his band the Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- Mr. David Mcmanus, British Ordinary Seaman, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and survived the sinking
- Mr. Henry John McManus (d. 1914), British Fireman from United Kingdom who worked aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking on May 29th 1914
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Kennedy, Patrick. Kennedy's Book of Arms. Canterbury: Achievements, 1967. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Somerset Fry, Peter and Fiona Somerset Fry. A History of Ireland. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1993. Print. (ISBN 1-56619-215-3).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The McManus Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The McManus Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 July 2015 at 07:30.
on orders of $85 or more