100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Legat, Leggat, Leggatt, Leggate, Legatt, Legget, Liggat, Ligget, Liggett and many more.
First found in Buckinghamshire, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Liggett research. Another 151 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1400, 1574, 1412, 1403, 1408, 1406, 1407, 1575, 1612 and are included under the topic Early Liggett History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 93 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Liggett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Liggett family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Liggett Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Liggett, who arrived in America in 1796
Liggett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Liggett, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1809
- A Liggett, aged 27, landed in Mobile, Ala in 1852
- Alexander, George, Robert, Samuel Liggett, all arrived in Pennsylvania between 1840 and 1860
Liggett Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Liggett arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Aboukir" in 1847
- Joseph Liggett, aged 45, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "William Prowse"
- Walter William Liggett (1886-1935), American journalist who worked at the New York Times, The Sun, New York Post, and the New York Daily News
- Louis Kroh Liggett (1875-1946), American drug store magnate who founded Rexall Drugs, chairman of United Drug Company
- Hunter Liggett (1857-1935), American Lieutenant General of the United States Army
- William M. Liggett, American politician, Member of Minnesota railroad and warehouse commission, 1891
- Troy Liggett, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Indiana, 2004
- Oscar Edward Liggett, American politician, Candidate in Republican primary for Michigan State Senate 2nd District, 1948
- John Liggett, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, 1858-61
- James Liggett, American politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives from Berks County, 1879-82
- H. C. Liggett, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Iowa, 1908
- George Liggett, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Nebraska, 1920, 1924
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bell, Robert. The Book of Ulster Surnames. Belfast: Blackstaff, 1988. Print. (ISBN 10-0856404160).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
This page was last modified on 8 January 2016 at 11:49.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!