Leone History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Leone family
The surname Leone was first found in Leon, where the name originated in Visigothic times. One of the first records of the surname was Moses de León (c. 1250-1305), a Spanish rabbi and Kabbalist who is thought of as the composer or redactor of the Zohar. And much later, most people know of Juan Ponce de León (1474-1521), the Spanish explorer and conquistador and his association with the legend of the Fountain of Youth.
Early History of the Leone family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Leone research. Another 167 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1509, 1590, 1549, 1533, 1608, 1474, 1521, 1524, 1591, 1520, 1584, 1527, 1591, 1602, 1658, 1610, 1687, 1749 and 1830 are included under the topic Early Leone History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leone Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Leon, Leoni, Leone, Leonelli, Leonetti, Leonie and many more.
Early Notables of the Leone family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Pompeo Leoni of Madrid; Juan Ponce de León (1474-1521), Spanish explorer, 1st Governor of Puerto Rico, best associated with the legend of the Fountain of Youth; Juan Ponce de León II, (1524-1591), the 1st Puerto Rican to become acting governor of Puerto Rico; Pedro Ponce de Leon (1520-1584) a Spanish Benedictine monk who is...
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Leone Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Leone migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Leone Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Charles Leone, who settled in Baltimore in 1807
- Gaspard Leone, who arrived in Baltimore in 1810
- Poll Leone, who settled in Texas in 1835
- Paul Leone, who settled in Texas in 1835
- Pablo Leone, who settled in Texas in 1835
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Leone Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jerry Leone, who settled in New York in 1904
- Ralph Leone, who settled in New York sometime between 1884 and 1925
- Louis Leone, who settled in Illinois in 1939
Contemporary Notables of the name Leone (post 1700) +
- Lucile Petry Leone (1902-1999), American nurse, founding director of the Cadet Nurse Corps in 1943
- Tracey Leone (b. 1967), Tracey Leone born 1967 is a retired American soccer midfielder
- Justin Paul Leone (b. 1977), American professional baseball third baseman
- Dominique Leone, American musician and writer
- Nathan Daniel Leone, the American lead singer of rock band Madina Lake
- Matthew Jon Leone, the American bassist of rock band Madina Lake
- Peter Leone, American equestrian rider
- Rocco Leone, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Massachusetts, 1916 
- Joseph A. Leone, American politician, Mayor of Billings, Montana, 1972-77 
- Frank B. Leone, American politician, Mayor of Dunbar, West Virginia, 1978-89 
- ... (Another 17 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +