on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the French Lavergne family come from? When did the Lavergne family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Lavergne family history?The Lavergne surname is derived from the Gaulish word "verne" meaning an "alder tree." The name was likely a habitational name taken on from any of the numerous places named with this element.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vergne, Vargne, La Vergne, La Vargne, Vergny and many more.
First found in Languedoc, where the family held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Lavergne research. Another 221 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1350, 1705, 1733, 1783, and 1825 are included under the topic Early Lavergne History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Lavergne Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Lavergne Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Marie Lavergne, who arrived in Jamestown, Va in 1700
- Jean Lavergne, who landed in Louisiana in 1718-1724
- Jean LaVergne, aged 19, landed in Louisiana in 1719
- Margueritte Lavergne, aged 30, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1785
- Armand-Renaud Lavergne (b. 1880), Canadian lawyer born at Saint-Christophe d' Arthabaska, member of parliament as a Liberal (1904-1908) and Conservative (1930-1935) for Montmagny, Quebec
- Joseph Lavergne (b. 1847), Canadian lawyer and politician, was member of parliament for Drummond-Arthabaska (1887-1897), mayor of Arthabaska (1887). as well as a judge
- Ernesto Pastor Lavergne (1892-1921), Puerto Rican bullfighter
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- de la Porte, A. Tresor Heraldique. Paris: F. Casterman, 1864. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- De Ville, Winston. Gulf Coast Colonials, A Compendium of French Families in Early Eighteenth Century Louisiana. Baltimore, MD: Clearfield, 1999. Print.
- Guérard, Albert Léon. France: a Modern History. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press, 1959. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Conrad, Glenn R. The First Families of Louisiana. Baton Rouge LA: Claitor's Publishing, 1970. Print.
This page was last modified on 18 November 2012 at 11:26.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more