Konig History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancestral home of the Konig family is in the German state of Bavaria. The name Konig is an occupational hereditary surname, a type of surname that was taken from a word describing or common to the profession of the original bearer. It is a name for a person who was thought to possess regal qualities. The surname Konig was originally derived from the German word denoting the king, which was given to someone who was successful in sports or other skillful matches.
Early Origins of the Konig family
The surname Konig was first found in Alsace, where the name emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation.
Important Dates for the Konig family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Konig research. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1701, 1823, and 1832 are included under the topic Early Konig History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Konig Spelling Variations
One can encounter great variation in the spelling of surnames: in early times, spelling in general, and thus the spelling of names was not yet standardized; and later, spellings would change with branching and movement of families. Variations of the name Konig include de Koenig, Koenig, Konnig, Koenig, de Koennig, Konige, Konnige, Konigge and many more.
Early Notables of the Konig family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Konig Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Konig migration to Australia
Emigration to Australia
followed the First Fleets
of convicts, tradespeople and early settlers. Early immigrants include:
Konig Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Baldwin Konig, a baker, who arrived in South Australia in 1848 aboard the ship "Victoria" 
Contemporary Notables of the name Konig (post 1700)
- George Konig (1865-1913), American Democrat politician, U.S. Representative from Maryland 3rd District, 1911-13 
- Charles Dietrich Eberhard Konig (1774-1851), German mineralogist
Historic Events for the Konig family
- Reinhold König (1922-1941), German Matrosengefreiter who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
- Heinrich König (1916-1994), German Obermaschinenmaat serving aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he survived the sinking 
You May Also Like
- ^ State Records of South Australia. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) VICTORIA 1848. Retrieved from http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/BSA/1848Victoria.htm
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 12) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details