The ancient roots of the Huningfithy family name are in the Anglo-Saxon
culture. The name Huningfithy comes from when the family lived in the market town and civil parish of Hungerford, a market town and civil parish in Berkshire, 9 miles (14.5 km) west of Newbury. It dates back to at least 1101-18 and was derived from the term "hunger ford", meaning "ford leading to poor land." CITATION[CLOSE]
Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
There is an old legend that "Hingwar the Dane" (Ivarr the Boneless, d. 873?) drowned accidentally while crossing the Kennet, and that the town was named after him. By 1241, it called itself a borough. And in the late 14th century John of Gaunt, medieval lord of the manor granted the people of the village the lucrative fishing rights on the River Kennet.
Early Origins of the Huningfithy family
The surname Huningfithy was first found in Gloucestershire
at Down Ampney, a parish, in the union of Cirencester, chiefly in the hundred
of Crowthorne and Minety. "The manor-house, a very interesting specimen of ancient architecture, was formerly one of the many seats of the Hungerford family, and is situated precisely on the border line of the two shires." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Farleigh-Hungerford in Somerset was another ancient family seat. " This place derives the adjunct to its name from the distinguished family of Hungerford, for more than 300 years lords of the manor, which was sold in 1370, with the hundred of Wellow, to Sir Thomas Hungerford, steward to John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster.
The castle of Farleigh is of uncertain foundation; it was enlarged in 1378 by Sir Thomas Hungerford, with four towers, of which two are remaining" CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print. A brass plate to the memory of Robert de Hungerford can be found in the church of Hungerford, Berkshire.
Early History of the Huningfithy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Huningfithy research.Another 96 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1541, 1330, 1397, 1378, 1449, 1567, 1627, 1503, 1540, 1607, 1657, 1614, 1657, 1614, 1685, 1660, 1611, 1673, 1645, 1660, 1632 and 1711 are included under the topic Early Huningfithy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Huningfithy Spelling Variations
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations
under which the name Huningfithy has appeared include Hungerford, Hungerton, Huningford and others.
Early Notables of the Huningfithy family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Thomas Hungerford, first recorded Speaker of the House of Commons (1330-1397); Walter Hungerford, 1st Baron
Hungerford, Speaker of the House of Commons (1378-1449); Sir Anthony Hungerford of Black Bourton (1567-1627), a religious controversialist; Walter Hungerford, 1st Baron
Hungerford of Heytesbury (1503-1540), the first Englishman to be executed for homosexuality; Anthony Hungerford of Black Bourton (c.
1607-1657), an English Member of Parliament, supported the Royalist cause during the English Civil War; Anthony Hungerford (c.1614-1657), a Colonel in the English Parliamentary... Another 87 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Huningfithy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Huningfithy family to Ireland
Some of the Huningfithy family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Huningfithy family to the New World and Oceana
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England
was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England
at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Huningfithy arrived in North America very early: Joan and Sarah Hungerford settled in Virginia in 1650; John Hungerton settled in Virginia in 1648; Thomas Hungerford settled in New London Conn in 1633..
The Huningfithy Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Et Dieu mon appui
Motto Translation: And God my support.
Huningfithy Family Crest Products
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.