100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Howson family come from? When did the Howson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Howson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Howison, Howieson, Howeson, Howyson, Howson and others.
First found in Midlothian, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Howson research. Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1600, 1567, 1711, 1787, 1557, 1632, 1619 and 1628 are included under the topic Early Howson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Howson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Howson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Peter Howson, aged 31, landed in America in 1634
- Eliz Howson, who arrived in Virginia in 1663
- Rich Howson, who arrived in Virginia in 1664
- Samuel Howson, who landed in Maryland in 1670
Howson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Howson, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States from Doncaster, England, in 1893
- Henry Howson, aged 20, who settled in America from Leeds, in 1898
Howson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- William Howson, aged 46, who landed in America from London, in 1904
- John Howson, aged 49, who emigrated to the United States from Harthill, Scotland, in 1907
- Anthony Howson, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Accrington, England, in 1907
- George Henry Howson, aged 27, who landed in America from High Shields, England, in 1909
- Wm. A. Howson, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1909
Howson Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- Florence Howson, aged 62, who landed in St. Johns, Newfoundland, in 1907
- Nicholas C Howson J.D.,, American Assistant Professor of Law at the University of Michigan
- Peter Howson OBE (b. 1958), Scottish painter
- Mr. William P Howson, British Petty Officer Stoker, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- Major George Arthur Howson MC (1886-1936), British Army officer in the First World War, founder and chairman of the Royal British Legion Poppy Factory
- The Venerable James Francis Howson (1856-1934), Archdeacon of Craven from 1928 to 1934
- Emma Howson (1844-1928), Australian opera singer and actress
- Charles Howson (1896-1976), English professional footballer
- Professor Colin Howson (b. 1945), British-born, Canadian Professor of Philosophy at the University of Toronto
- Susan Howson (b. 1973), British mathematician at the University of Nottingham
- William Robinson Howson (1883-1952), Canadian politician and judge
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Bain, Robert. The Clans and Tartans of Scotland. Glasgow & London: Collins, 1968. Print. (ISBN 000411117-6).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
This page was last modified on 21 March 2015 at 13:41.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!