100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Herrington family come from? When did the Herrington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Herrington family history?The chronicles of the Herrington family show that the name was first used in the Scottish/English Borderlands by the Strathclyde- Britons. It was a name for a person who lived at a local named Harrington, in Cumberland. Today, Harrington is on the Cumbrian coast with a population of about 5000. There is a small hamlet named Harrington in Lincolnshire and a small village and civil parish in Northamptonshire so named. The name was derived from the Old English Hoeferingtun which meant "settlement associated with Hoefer" or "settlement on stony ground". 
The origin of rules governing the spelling of names and even words is a very recent innovation. Before that, words and names were spelled according to sound, and, therefore, often appeared under several different spelling variations in a single document. Herrington has been spelled Harrington, Harington and others.
First found in Cumberland, where the first record of the name was Robert de Heverington in the reign of Richard I (1189-1199). William de Harinton was listed in the Assize Rolls on Lancashire in 1202 and Richard de Harington was listed in the Rotuli Hundredorum of 1274. John Harington was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of 1327.  A few years later, Ricardus de Heryngton was listed in the Yorkshire Poll Tax records of 1379. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Herrington research. Another 229 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1275, 1674, 1347, 1328, 1363, 1357, 1406, 1607, 1680, 1646, 1653, 1654, 1655, 1627, 1700, 1654, 1611, 1677 and 1656 are included under the topic Early Herrington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 153 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Herrington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Herrington family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 31 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
The persecution faced in their homeland left many Scots with little to do but sail for the colonies of North America. There they found land, freedom, opportunity, and nations in the making. They fought for their freedom in the American War of Independence, or traveled north to Canada as United Empire Loyalists. In both cases, they made enormous contributions to the formation of those great nations. Among them:
Herrington Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Humphrey Herrington, who landed in Maryland in 1664
- George Herrington, who arrived in Maryland in 1675
Herrington Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Herrington, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1765
Herrington Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Seth Herrington, who arrived in Washington County, Pennsylvania in 1888
Herrington Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Anthony W Herrington, who landed in Canada in 1831
- Jeremiah Herrington, who arrived in Canada in 1831
Herrington Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jeremiah Herrington landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1840
- Maycie Herrington (b. 1918), African-American history conservator, social worker, and community volunteer, known for her work on the history of the Tuskegee Airmen
- John Stewart Herrington (b. 1939), American Republican politician, 5th United States Secretary of Energy (1985-1989)
- Daniel Herrington (b. 1986), American racing driver
- Rowdy L. Herrington (b. 1951), American Hollywood director and writer
- John Bennett Herrington (b. 1958), retired United States naval aviator, former NASA Astronaut with over 330 hours in space
- John Herrington, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 2008
- Jacob Herrington, American Democrat politician, Member of Pennsylvania State Senate, 1821-25
- Dennis W. Herrington, American politician, Member of California State Assembly 7th District, 1863
- Cass E. Herrington (b. 1856), American politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives, 1887
- Caleb Herrington, American politician, Delegate to Michigan State Constitutional Convention 1st District, 1835
- ^ Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges, A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
This page was last modified on 24 November 2015 at 16:47.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!