The name Hendrik originated among the descendants of the ancient Pictish clans. It is derived from the personal name Henry.
Early Origins of the Hendrik family
The surname Hendrik was first found in Fife
, where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Hendrik family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hendrik research.Another 150 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1183, 1282, 1700, 1685 and are included under the topic Early Hendrik History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hendrik Spelling Variations
During the Middle Ages, there was no basic set of rules and scribes wrote according to sound. The correct spelling of Scottish names were further compromised after many haphazard translations from Gaelic to English and back. Spelling variations
of the name Hendrik include Hendry, Hendrie, MacHendry, MacHendrick, MacKendrick and many more.
Early Notables of the Hendrik family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Hendrik Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hendrik family to Ireland
Some of the Hendrik family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 142 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hendrik family to the New World and Oceana
Scots left their country by the thousands to travel to Australia
and North America. Desperate for freedom and an opportunity to fend for themselves, many paid huge fees and suffered under terrible conditions on long voyages. Still, for those who made the trip, freedom and opportunity awaited. In North America, many fought their old English oppressors in the American War of Independence
. In recent years, Scottish heritage has been an increasingly important topic, as Clan
societies and other organizations have renewed people's interest in their history. An examination of passenger and immigration lists shows many early settlers bearing the name of Hendrik:
Hendrik Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Marritge Hendrik, aged 16, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1655 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Hendrik (post 1700)
- Frederik Hendrik Kaemmerer (1839-1902), Dutch painter
- Jan Hendrik Scholten (1811-1885), Dutch Protestant theologian
- Gerrit Hendrik Kersten (1882-1948), Dutch Christian minister and politician
- Jan Hendrik Stander (b. 1982), South African cricketer
- Mattheus Hendrik Wessel (b. 1985), Australian cricketer
- Jan Hendrik Schöen (b. 1970), German physicist
- Jan Hendrik Hofmeyr (1894-1948), South African Rhodes Scholar, politician, and intellectual
- Andries Hendrik Potgieter (1792-1852), Voortrekker leader in South Africa, first head of state of Potchefstroom from 1840 and 1845
- Johan Hendrik Weidner (1912-1994), Belgian World War II resistance fighter
- Leo Hendrik Baekeland (1863-1944), American chemist