on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the Scottish Hehir family come from? When did the Hehir family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Hehir family history?The sea-swept Hebrides islands and the west coast of Scotland, made up the ancient Dalriadan kingdom, the ancestral home of the Hehir family. Their name comes from Ir. O'hlr means descendant of Ir.
Many spelling variations of Hehir have been recorded over the years, including These are the result of the medieval practice of spelling according to sound and repeated translation between Gaelic and English. Hare, Hair, Hehir, Hehr, Heher and others.
First found in Ayrshire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Inbhir Àir), formerly a county in the southwestern Strathclyde region of Scotland, that today makes up the Council Areas of South, East, and North Ayrshire, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hehir research. Another 182 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1686, 1760, 1775, 1792, 1795, 1834, 1842, and 1855 are included under the topic Early Hehir History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 46 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hehir Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Hehir family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 203 words (14 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hehir Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Hehir, aged 20, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emerald Isle"
- Bridget Hehir, aged 22, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Emerald Isle"
- Biddy Hehir, aged 22, a dairy servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Sir Edward Parry"
- Michael Hehir, aged 42, a farm labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
- Catherine Hehir, aged 24, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Flora"
Hehir Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Michael Hehir, aged 18, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Warwick" in 1879
- Anne Hehir, aged 20, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Warwick" in 1879
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1970. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. The Charters of David I The Written Acts of David I King of Scots, 1124-53 and of His Son Henry, Earl of Northumerland, 1139-52. Woodbridge: The Boydell Press, 1999. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Moody David. Scottish Family History. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0806312688).
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
This page was last modified on 10 July 2012 at 14:03.
on orders of $85 or more