Graci History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The earliest forms of hereditary surnames in Spain were the patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Graci is thought to be a patronymic name formed from a now unknown medieval given name. An older Latin form of the surname was Garsea, but the roots of this name may well pre-date the Latin era and come from the Basque language.
Early Origins of the Graci family
The surname Graci was first found in Navarre, where the name is documented in the earliest records.
Important Dates for the Graci family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Graci research. Another 179 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1134, 1150 and 1800 are included under the topic Early Graci History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Graci Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Garcia, García, Garsea, Garsía, Garsia, Garcies, Guarsea, Guarseas, Garsías, Garsias, Gassía, Gassia, Garci, Garcés, Garces, Garcíaz, Garciaz, Garséaz, Garseaz, Gasset, Garcet, Gracía, Gracia and many more.
Early Notables of the Graci family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were Count García of Navarre (d. 857), García I, king of Leon from 910-914, and García I of Navarre, who ruled 925-970. King García IV ruled Navarre from 1134-1150. Also of note were Gil Garcíez Dazagra, knight of the order of Santiago, Diego García de Paredes and Alvar García de Mendoza, who fought for Ferdinand and Isabella during the conquest...
Another 66 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Graci Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Graci migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Graci Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Arcangelo Graci, aged 24, who landed in America from S. Cataldo, in 1904
- Calagero Graci, aged 32, who landed in America from Castrofilippo, in 1905
- Bartola Graci, aged 47, who immigrated to America from Fonzaro, Italy, in 1907
- Antonina Graci, aged 56, who settled in America from Castrofilippe, Sicily, in 1907
- Angelo Graci, aged 37, who immigrated to the United States from Licata, Girgenti, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Graci (post 1700)
- Angelo Graci, American Republican politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Queens County 10th District, 1945-54 
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 21) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html