100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
The surname Fricker was first found in Germany
, where the name Fricker came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status. Like many surnames, the name Fricker is taken from a personal name which was very common at the time. Frick is a shortened form of Frederick, which is composed of the Germanic elements "fred," meaning "peace" and "ric," meaning "power." Like many personal names of the time, it owed its popularity to the fact that there was a saint by that name; Saint Frederick was the Bishop of Utrecht (in modern-day Holland) and worked to end paganism and idolatry.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Frick, Fricke, Fricker, Frickel, Frickes, Fricks and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Fricker research. Another 156 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Fricker History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Fricker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Fricker Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Fricker, who arrived in Virginia in 1638
Fricker Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Gallus Fricker, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1750
- Johann Fricker, who landed in America in 1781
- Johannes Fricker, who landed in America in 1794
Fricker Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Michael Fricker, who arrived in New York in 1840
- C Fricker, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1855
- Jacob Fricker, who arrived in Ohio in 1869
- Henry Fricker, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1872
- Ferdinand Fricker, aged 53, arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1874
Fricker Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mary Fricker, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
Fricker Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Richard Fricker, aged 26, a bricklayer, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Duke of Wellington"
- Richard Fricker, aged 26, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Wellington" in 1849
- William Fricker, aged 21, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1856 aboard the ship "Amazon"
Fricker Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Fanny Fricker, aged 23, a cook, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Berar" in 1875
- Earle W. Fricker, American Republican politician, Member of Wisconsin State Assembly from Milwaukee County 15th District; Elected 1956; Defeated, 1958
- Werner Fricker (1936-2001), German-American soccer halfback who later became president of the United States Soccer Federation
- Brenda Fricker (b. 1945), Academy Award-winning Irish actress of theatre, film and television
- Peter Racine Fricker (1920-1990), English composer
- Steed, Henry Wickham . The Hapsburg Monarchy. London: Constable and Company, 1919. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Journeys German Immigration, Settlement and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
This page was last modified on 30 October 2015 at 10:14.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!