on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The surname Freitas was first found in Westphalia
, where the name Freitas emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. Meaning "Friday" in German (from the Old High German "frijetag",) the name could have been originally given to one who was born on a Friday, but there is another, more likely possibility. At the time when surnames were first appearing, Friday was considered to be an unlucky day, so the name was most likely given to a person who was known for being very unlucky.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Freitag, Freytag, Friedag, Frieday, Friedag and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Freitas research. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) covering the year 1197 is included under the topic Early Freitas History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Freitas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Johan Martin Freitag, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751 and Johann Georg Freytag, who arrived there 15 years later, in 1766.
- Jesse Lee Freitas (1951-2015), American football quarterback for the San Diego Chargers (1974-1975)
- Marjorie R. Freitas, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 1956 (alternate), 1964
- Henry Freitas, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Hawaii Territory, 1932
- Donald P. Freitas, American politician, Mayor of Antioch, California, 2000-08; Defeated, 2008
- Chris de Freitas, Associate Professor in the School of Environment at the University of Auckland in New Zealand and known as a skeptic of anthropogenic global warming
- Jacintha Freitas, Brazilian actress listed in 1898 in an archive of artists in Brazil
- David de Freitas (b. 1986), Brazilian footballer
- Acelino "Popó" Freitas (b. 1975), Brazilian boxer and a former world junior lightweight and lightweight champion
- Diogo Pinto de Freitas do Amaral (b. 1941), Portuguese politician and law professor
- José Vicente de Freitas (1869-1952), Portuguese military officer and politician
- Bahlow, Hans. Abhandlungen zur Namenforschung und Buchgeschichte. 1980. Print. (ISBN 978-3768690522).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Kapff, Rudolf. Schwäbische Geschlechtsnamen. Stuttgart: Verlag Silberburg, 1927. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München, Battenberg: 1975. Print.
The Freitas Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Freitas Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 09:43.
on orders of $85 or more