The Ferell surname comes from the Irish Gaelic name O Fearghail, which means "man of valor."
, where they were found mainly in County Longford.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ferell research.Another 185 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1235 and 1248 are included under the topic Early Ferell History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the Middle Ages many people were recorded under different spellings each time their name was written down. Research on the Ferell family name revealed numerous spelling variations
, including Ferrell, Farrell, O'Ferrall, O'Farrell, Farrelly, Fraleigh, Frawley, Frahill and many more.
saw an enormous decrease in its population in the 19th century due to immigration and death. This pattern of immigration began slowly in the late 18th century and gradually grew throughout the early portion of the 19th century. However, a dramatic increase in the country's immigration numbers occurred when the Great Potato Famine
struck in the 1840s. The early immigrants to North America were primarily destined to be farmers tending to their own plot of land, those that came later initially settled within pre-established urban centers. These urban immigrants provided the cheap labor that the fast developing United States and soon to be Canada required. Regardless of their new lifestyle in North America, the Irish immigrants to the United States and Canada made invaluable contributions to their newly adopted societies. An investigation of immigrant and passenger lists revealed many Ferells: Bridget Ferrell who settled in Barbados in 1680; Katherine Ferrell settled in Virginia in 1649; Alexander Farrell settled in Virginia in 1656; Atkinson, Barney, Bernard, Charles, Christopher, Daniel, Dennis, Edward, Eiden, Francis, George, Hamilton, Hugh, James, John, Laurence, Lawrence, Luke, Martin, Michael, Patrick, Peter, Richard, Robert, Thomas and William Farrell, all settled in Philadelphia between 1840 and 1860. Martin and Michael Frawly arrived in Philadelphia in 1868 and 1874.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Cu reabtha
Motto Translation: The rampaging dog.